PDA

View Full Version : Dragonets in a 75 gal w/29 gal refugium

singold
12/01/2010, 06:18 PM
I currently have a Mandarin Dragonet in my 75 gal reef tank with a 29 gal. refugium. There is a healthy copepod population & the Mandarin has done well the last few years.

I was considering adding a Target Dragonet or Scooter Blenny. Any thoughts or experience to share, or if seems sensible given my set-up?

Anybody have 2 of this species (Dragonets) with success if have healthy copepod population?

Angel*Fish
12/01/2010, 07:22 PM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like a bad idea to me. Why not get a mate for the one you have now?

singold
12/01/2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not opposed to this idea, given I like bottom dwellers. However, I am not sure how to differenciate the genders.

vwtanker
12/01/2010, 10:43 PM
Even if you can get one of the opposite gender they may still not get along, but that would be safest. The mixing of dragonet species is not a good idea, from what I have read and been told by others.

Angel*Fish
12/01/2010, 11:45 PM
I'm not opposed to this idea, given I like bottom dwellers. However, I am not sure how to differenciate the genders.The male has a spike on his dorsal fin. Don't buy a fish until you see it flash that top fin because it can be really hard to see while it's laying down. As long as you have a male and a female they should get along just fine, but make sure that you purchase the new fish such that the male is the larger of the two.

This is a male - a younger one wouldn't be quite as dramatic.
http://www.3reef.com/forums/attachments/tropical-fish/12725d1234717561-what-fish-eats-copepods-green_mandarin.jpg

This is a female
http://www.eco-divers.com/galleries/d/791-2/Mandarin+fish.jpg

small alien
12/02/2010, 12:52 AM
I have a trio of scooters and just added a male ORA Target. So far so good in the "get along" department. All eat prepared foods. I have a gajillion pod eaters in my tank.

Ninjapotamus
12/02/2010, 01:18 AM
feed bloodworms

small alien
12/02/2010, 10:44 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think blood worms are a nutritionally complete food for sw fish. Also read theycan cause intestinal blockage which I think may have killed a jawfish I used to have. I believe live blaco worms are better though I've never fed them.

small alien
12/02/2010, 01:20 PM
Black worms. Not blaco worms