PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your WC Rubbermaid

critofer
12/01/2010, 06:21 PM
Hey guys,

I was going to do a water change today when I noticed that the bottom of my rubbermaid I use to mix my SW in had a thing of slime at the bottom. I then dumped out the water and went a cleanin'. What I did was wash the whole thing really well the soap and water then rinse alot. then I put in about 2-3 gallons of water and about 2-3 cups worth of bleach and washed the whole rubbermaid with that. Then i rinsed the whole container with a hose with one of the jet nosil attachments and rinsed for about 10 straigh minutes. I can't smell any bit of bleach at all. Do you think it is safe to mix water in again?

Thanks guys

muttley000
12/01/2010, 06:37 PM
I would fill it with fresh water and let it set for a day and then dump that out. Maybe a little overkill, but why take a chance?
I don't bleach mine, I just scrub with a paste of baking soda, and then rinse well.

critofer
12/01/2010, 06:45 PM
yeah good idea

Agu
12/01/2010, 07:36 PM
I don't /won't use soap on anything involved with aquariums. Vinegar will clean just about everything and is a lot safer. I'd turn the old rubbermaid into another use and get a new one.

jmo,

Indymann99
12/01/2010, 07:58 PM
+1. No soap.... Ever.
I would just rinse.

critofer
12/01/2010, 08:46 PM
I did try with just rinsing. I did another bach of water after scubbing just with water and the slime was still there. Do you guys still think its safe to use? I rinsed it for a very long time and cant smell any soap or bleach smell at all.