PDA

View Full Version : What do you dose for your zoas?

zachfishman
12/01/2010, 09:11 PM
I'm having one heck of a time (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1937871) figuring out what has gone wrong in my system. Part of the symptoms shown in my corals are my zoas shrinking down; all my polyps are reduced to half the size they used to be and growth has stopped.

I was wondering if my tank water is deficient in some way (tank is small volume with low bioload). Does anyone dose anything "extra" for their zoas such as iodide (or even Coral-Vite or Coral-Accel)?

oupulino
12/01/2010, 09:27 PM
Same people recommending Vitamin C to adding to the water,find same treads about Vitamin C on this forum that might help

WaffleWalffle22
12/01/2010, 10:52 PM
I have the same problem with a 200 polyp colony of Eagle Eye zoas. I think it might be sea mat decay, so I blast the rock with a turkey baster every day. IDK if it will help or not, but it's worth a shot.

CarltonsReef
12/02/2010, 01:33 AM
i've been running phosphate remover and dosing magnesium to higher levels and my zoas went from shrink to normal within a couple weeks.

nanotank
12/02/2010, 11:47 AM
I use vit c and zeovit spongepower....

zachfishman
12/02/2010, 04:39 PM
I've also been recommended DT's Phyto and Phytofeast to feed the tank overall, anybody use those?

palylover
12/02/2010, 04:50 PM
sponge power and fuana marin aa's

Friday Night
12/04/2010, 01:36 PM
A grade fish waste.

zachfishman
12/04/2010, 04:31 PM
A grade fish waste.

Haha, my zoas could probably use a bit more of that! Good excuse to buy another fish :hammer:

Friday Night
12/04/2010, 09:48 PM
Haha, my zoas could probably use a bit more of that! Good excuse to buy another fish :hammer:

:lolspin:

evoracer
12/07/2010, 12:28 AM
Aminos and iodide.

bkd067
12/07/2010, 12:53 AM
Fish poop

RokleM
12/07/2010, 08:22 AM
Saltwater and detritus.

jbm421
12/07/2010, 01:31 PM
That happens to my zoas from time to time but I didn't even know you could add anything to help out zoas in there time of need :lol2:

reefpeeper
12/08/2010, 08:33 PM
i dont dose anything, but i'm gonna start something

150er
12/08/2010, 08:38 PM
how is your ALK level? Did you dose DIY 2 part without much waterchange?

Friday Night
12/10/2010, 03:26 PM
i dont dose anything, but i'm gonna start something

If it's not broken dont fix it. Remember there are other residents in the tank other than znp's that may not like it.

bee505
12/11/2010, 12:44 AM
I do 10% weekly water change and Iodine once in a while. Just be careful to not overdose the iodine.

zachfishman
12/11/2010, 05:24 PM
Anybody use this stuff? I don't know what component of the Zeovit system it is, but this appears to at least include some food stuffs.

...confused about Zeo all around - it's a filtration media, no wait it's coral food, no wait! it's a carbon dosing alternative to vodka... argh

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_ZEOvit_Nano_Power_Package_4_x_10ml_Coral_Additives_Supplements-Korallen_Zucht-VX5321-FIADSACS-4-vi.html

sedor
12/11/2010, 05:30 PM
Zoas don't require Ca or Alk because they don't build calcium carbonate skeletons...

rtavila
12/12/2010, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

I had similar issues with some of my zoas and I was at my wit's end trying to figure it out. They used to be huge and just closed up and remained closed for probably 2 months. I actually assumed they were dead.

Eventually after concluding that my parameters were not to blame, I realized there could be some chemical warfare going on between corals -- particularly from my finger leather.

I got a phosban reactor and have been running activated carbon to scrub the chemicals from the water with complete success. In addition to my water now sparkling clear, my zoas opened up full within 2 days of running the carbon.

I think it's a problem that gets overlooked (I know I certainly did!) but something to consider if your lighting and parameters are perfect but still have closed zoanthids.

Hope this helps!
Ross

zachfishman
12/12/2010, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

I had similar issues with some of my zoas and I was at my wit's end trying to figure it out. They used to be huge and just closed up and remained closed for probably 2 months. I actually assumed they were dead.

Eventually after concluding that my parameters were not to blame, I realized there could be some chemical warfare going on between corals -- particularly from my finger leather.

I got a phosban reactor and have been running activated carbon to scrub the chemicals from the water with complete success. In addition to my water now sparkling clear, my zoas opened up full within 2 days of running the carbon.

I think it's a problem that gets overlooked (I know I certainly did!) but something to consider if your lighting and parameters are perfect but still have closed zoanthids.

Hope this helps!
Ross

Thanks, I don't have closed zoas so much as shrunken zoas. I'm betting on it having something to do with whatever is afflicting the whole system (which has begun to alleviate, thankfully).

Anybody used any of the Zeovit products above? I've been considering feeding my corals something since I have a very low fish-load (one small goby and one small blenny) and thus there isn't that much extra feed for the corals to grab.