PDA

View Full Version : jbj led or hqi

stlmoguy23
12/02/2010, 12:15 AM
I am planning on getting a new tank for christmas but cant figure out which to go with. I really like the led but is the price difference really worth it plus with the hqi I can change the color temp. I've seen both in person led kinda seems spotty to me. Any thoughts?

Borchers
12/02/2010, 01:03 AM
LED. All the way. Cooler running great color. Long bulb life. Up front cost is high but worth it in the long run

nvdiz
12/02/2010, 08:21 AM
depends on the coral you plan to keep...

If you were going to go with sps, then you'll want the MH. Downside is you're going to need a chiller...

If you're going with LPS and softies, LEDs would work well.

zma21
12/02/2010, 09:15 AM
depends on the coral you plan to keep...

If you were going to go with sps, then you'll want the MH. Downside is you're going to need a chiller...

If you're going with LPS and softies, LEDs would work well.

Many, many people not only have SPS in the LED NC, but they are thriving.

There's a large thread for 28 NC, search and you'll have your mind made up by the end of it.

I vote LED.

mbingha
12/02/2010, 11:17 AM
I may be biased but I vote MH. You can change what K rating you have, and its proven to work. Yea led works, but its still fairly new to the hobby.

Agu
12/02/2010, 07:39 PM
What size tank including dimensions ?

What corals do you want in this tank? Is there a "must have" coral?

Both work but without knowing more it's just a guess.

BTW, I run LEDs and PCs on my nanos. The ongoing cost and heat has kept me from using MH.

Western_reefer
12/02/2010, 07:45 PM

You don't need a chiller. Just do a few mods and your good to go. Whats up with people and chillers when there is a MH over a tank? Sheesh.....

nvdiz
12/02/2010, 08:23 PM
youll definitely need a chiller with a closed top... please tell me if you know how to keep a hooded tank under 80 F w/o a chiller. I personally know a local reefer whos tank crashed because of a chiller malfunction...

and back to the OP... dont get me wrong, i would love LEDs, I just have no personal experience with it on SPS

Western_reefer
12/02/2010, 09:09 PM
youll definitely need a chiller with a closed top... please tell me if you know how to keep a hooded tank under 80 F w/o a chiller. I personally know a local reefer whos tank crashed because of a chiller malfunction...

and back to the OP... dont get me wrong, i would love LEDs, I just have no personal experience with it on SPS

With a closed top yes, but not if you raise it 2-3 inches. Actually, I do know how to keep a tank at 80F or under with the stock hood. Check out my 28 gallon JBJ Nano-Cube HQI diary diary thread. ;)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406392

nvdiz
12/02/2010, 10:31 PM
i cant find it bro, but ill believe you. nice tank btw

Western_reefer
12/02/2010, 10:42 PM
i cant find it bro, but ill believe you. nice tank btw

You didn't see the big ole pictures of the raised hood? Look at post #31. Thanks!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406392&page=2

Here is a picture.

http://i53.*******.com/2lu45ld.jpg

nvdiz
12/02/2010, 11:05 PM
lol not that part... i meant the closed hood

Western_reefer
12/02/2010, 11:13 PM
lol not that part... i meant the closed hood

Oh, I never said you could keep a tank at 80F without a chiller when the hood is closed, I said you you don't need a chiller and can keep the stock hood by raising the hood by 2-3 inches. Sorry If I didn't clarify this. lol Legs/fan mod will cost $30-$40 + 30 minutes of your time instead of a couple hundred for a chiller. ;)

MayoBoy
12/03/2010, 06:12 AM
Check out Beldt's in Hazelwood. They're going out of business (bummer as they've been around since the 1920's) and everything is going on sale starting today. You might be able to pick up your tank on the cheap.

(there's also a page for the local club http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=414 )

ihavtats29
12/03/2010, 06:27 PM
even with a closed top if you put a glass divider between the light and the water and have a ventalation fan pulling air in and blowing air out you will not have any change in temp, ive done it on a standard 10 gal and built a canopy in that fashion with a 150 hqi, i had no change in water temp. i used thin picture frame glass bought a home depot

nvdiz
12/03/2010, 07:21 PM
... there is a divider between the light and water, and from my understanding the four fans inside the hood blow in. and im not trying to start an argument, all i meant to say is that I dont think you can keep the stock hood < 80 F w/o a chiller. I used to have the original PC hood a while back and even w/ some fan upgrades the temp. could go up to 80.

sam11909
12/03/2010, 11:18 PM
I also vote LED. LED's put less heat into the tank. They can come in almost any color, and the color can be adjusted with the right setup. You can create any k value you want whenever you want it. MH's must switch bulbs to change kelvin values and you can never achieve the perfect color mix. LED's life expectancy is greater than 13 years, so no bulb changing. This pays off in the long run. LED's are also capable of keeping sps and clams with significant growth. I have a maxima clam and many acros that are doing well under my DIY LED's. My green birdsnest has grown significantly, much better than when it was under t5's. The only thing that I have found that does not do well under my LED's is maxi mini anemones, everything else is doing great. I say go LED, in my opinion they will eventually be the main way to light a reef tank.

Western_reefer
12/03/2010, 11:33 PM
I vote for MH. I'll wait till LED's get a bit better as its still pretty new technology. But, a MH/LED combo would be nice. :)

JByer323
12/04/2010, 02:33 AM
I just got an LED from Premium Aquatics. When I was in there today they were still on sale, free stand.

mcfa2403
12/06/2010, 07:51 AM
oops wrong thread

sirbiggstixx
12/09/2010, 01:19 AM
even with a closed top if you put a glass divider between the light and the water and have a ventalation fan pulling air in and blowing air out you will not have any change in temp, ive done it on a standard 10 gal and built a canopy in that fashion with a 150 hqi, i had no change in water temp. i used thin picture frame glass bought a home depot

i agree with this..i have a 250w metal halide hqi sunpod with a 14k bulb and my tank has changed zero temperature since the fixture has been put on..i dont have a hood, and the fixture is about 4" from the water..but it has a fan in the fixture and in the ballast..

sirbiggstixx
12/09/2010, 01:21 AM
and leds cost like 500$..unless you know exactly what your doing and it still cost like 400$..i like halides because like stated above..they are just too new..but have seen them WORK..its just halides grow coral faster..