PDA

View Full Version : acclimation too long? didnt know

Megatrev62
12/02/2010, 02:11 AM
I have posted a problem in the fish disease section so just want to add here. First if you care to read just look for "shakey yellow tang" under diseases. I acclimated my tang for 3.5 hours, removing bag water and replacing with tank water.From what Ive been reading this could be the doom of my yellow tang.I did check bag vs tank water and was exactly 1.025. Fish should have gone in within 30 mins!! The fish did not hit my tank however until 4 hours after purchase because I had a few places to visit.The fish remained inside all the while. So from time of purchase to time put in tank was 7 hours. I didnt think this would hurt as figuring a longer acclimation would be better. Please I want thoughts on this. Fish is eating now. Could he come around ? I figured if they are shipped for hours this would be fine.

DeePDiSHeD
12/02/2010, 06:44 AM
Check out the sticky at the top.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939508

Sk8r
12/02/2010, 09:29 AM
They're tough fish. Ammonia poisoning in fish causes nervous system damage as well as organ damage [kidneys, liver, gills, etc], but the recovery and regenerative capability of fish is different and faster than a mammal's, too. If he is still alive, and able to eat, he has a chance. The fact he has an appetite is definitely on his side. Here's hoping for the little guy.

89Foxbody
12/02/2010, 10:44 AM
So you bought the fish, ran errands for 4 hours, then left him in the bag for 3.5 more hours at home?

As soon as you open the bag, ammonia starts to accumulate.

Next time, you should do your errands first. No animal should EVER have to sit in a state like that longer than absolutely necessary. Is the shipment process not stressful enough? People justify it by saying oh well they were shipped in these conditions and they came out fine...No. the shipping process is stressful and terrifying to the fish. Why put it through that again? There is a tipping point.

Sk8r
12/02/2010, 12:59 PM
The OP didn't know about the ammonia reaction, 89Foxbody. That was the point. This is the newbies forum. Some new hobbyists have no prior experience.

Megatrev62
12/02/2010, 01:48 PM
Hey thats correct. Through some research I understand this now. Never heard of it. No need being rough my friend. Lesson learned. hoping for the best. I take full responsibility for the conditin this fish is presently in.

Sk8r
12/02/2010, 01:56 PM
Megatrev, it's very, very common that this happens in the hobby: ever since the industry started using plastic bags, this has been a problem, and a sort of folk myth about drip acclimation and bags has been contributing to this kind of accident for decades. You have a good heart: you're trying your darndest for that fish. Just spread the word around about the acclimation problem and help us save some fishes: it's not just a newbie problem. I've known some very experienced hobbyists have lost the most expensive fish they ever bought trying to be super-kind and -careful.

Megatrev62
12/02/2010, 03:06 PM
Sk8r thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate what you've said and as I say have learned a valuable lesson here. I'm sure that many people getting into this hobby would have probably sided with what I did here too. Ive been keeping fish both fresh and salt for 17 years(although I have never been in this situation with a saltwater fish ever-7 hours ) and this info kinda blew me away.Hoping and waiting.RC and folks like you make it all worth while. Thanks again

hbubble
12/04/2010, 07:25 PM
Just got a new tang by mail 3 days ago. Fish is still staying partially hidden down in the rocks. Nibbled a little the first day. Now I don't see it doing any eating at all. Could this still be a cautious-to-new-surrounding reaction? . . . or does it seem like the newbie is going to croak?? Is there anything I can do? It was acclimated slowly and released in about 30-mins. upon arrival.

89Foxbody
12/04/2010, 08:05 PM
Sorry if I was being overly negative. Just trying to be stern I guess, but I suppose it wasn't entirely necessary. I work at Petco and I see people every day who couldn't care less what happens to fish and to be honest it breaks my heart.

I know you aren't one of these people and I'm sorry if I made it seems like that's what you are. Judging by your posts I know you'll do your best for the fish.

Sorry again.

iamwrasseman
12/04/2010, 08:13 PM
she said petco ! lol only kiddn round girl ~

Sk8r
12/04/2010, 09:07 PM
Re hiding tang: species? size of tank? others in tank?

Megatrev62
12/05/2010, 01:23 AM
Just an update on the tang. Was not improving and as last ditch effort I dipped the fish and was dead shortly after putting back in display. Was going to get another tank set up but that did;nt happen.First time I ever dipped a fish but I feel it was somethibg to try at this stage. Wish I had done it earlier when fish at least looked better.n Never ate-rapid gill movement. Dipped him for like 3 mins in RO water that matched the ph and temp. of main. In the meantime there were parasites of some sort which fell off the fish during the dip. I'm suspecting flukes,( a few big ones!!!) so the fish imo had to be quarantined and eventually treated anyway.There was no sign of ich on the fish-will monitor tank. Ticked off is not the word. Still consider the death my fault however.The 2 yellow tails and percs remain completely oblivious to what was going on with the tang since introduction. Quarantine will be my route from this experience. One can look at many different reasons why they lose a fish and a combination of things would probably be the answer. Quarantine will prevent what happened here as far as I'm concerned. Still learning which is great.it's just too bad a fish is lost in the process. Thanks to all.

Sk8r
12/05/2010, 11:00 AM
So sorry to hear. At least in quarantine, whatever shows up can be more easily ID'd---and specifically treated.

89Foxbody
12/05/2010, 11:36 AM
Sorry about your fish. And once again sorry if I was too harsh in my first reply.

meco65
12/05/2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry about the fish, but thanks for posting. If some one else can learn from your mistake maybe it will save a fish or two.

Megatrev62
12/05/2010, 11:55 AM
No worries Fox. Thanks

iamwrasseman
12/05/2010, 05:51 PM
i am also sorry the fish did not make it but dipping an already highly stressed fish is adding stress to the situation . as you said it was just about dead but i would never dip a fish on the edge of death as it just seals his coffin IMO .
not trying to criticize you in your moment of distress .

ChicagoReefer88
12/05/2010, 07:18 PM
Just got a new tang by mail 3 days ago. Fish is still staying partially hidden down in the rocks. Nibbled a little the first day. Now I don't see it doing any eating at all. Could this still be a cautious-to-new-surrounding reaction? . . . or does it seem like the newbie is going to croak?? Is there anything I can do? It was acclimated slowly and released in about 30-mins. upon arrival.

i would say because its early he is just a little skeptical of his surroundings. I popped as tang in my tank last week and he was like that for 2 days. he came out to eat but otherwise pretty shy. Now he is exploring everywhere.

iamwrasseman
12/05/2010, 07:37 PM
aquarium life compared to the ocean life is so much different and the fish have no idea how to react so they do as they do . they have not prepared nor learned how to live in these small glass boxes so they sometimes freak out and behave in what we call an abnormal way .its just their way of coping with the disastrous situation that we have put them in . i do understand that we do try to give them all of what we think they need but it has to be down right frightening to the point of insanity .

Megatrev62
12/05/2010, 08:10 PM
i am also sorry the fish did not make it but dipping an already highly stressed fish is adding stress to the situation . as you said it was just about dead but i would never dip a fish on the edge of death as it just seals his coffin IMO .
not trying to criticize you in your moment of distress .

No prob iamwrasse I knew it was prob going to die, but that was the option I took at this point. You can only go with info you read and make a decision based on that. There are a ton of different ways of doing things and it seems not one way is the the correct way. You just have to go with what you feel is right. Thats been my experince here anyway. Thanks