PDA

View Full Version : Weird: Wall Hammer Coral Tips Splitting(?)

CreatiVe2
12/03/2010, 05:23 PM
hey guys, i have searched on this board, and google for the past 45 min trying to even find a picture of what the title of thread is.

Is this normal growth behavior? I haven't noticed this until recently.
I have had the coral in my tank for 2 months exactly.

weird. :sad2:

All water parameters are perfect, 40% wc bi weekly
0 Nitrates. coral is fed weekly.

CreatiVe2
12/06/2010, 06:05 PM
no one?

iamwrasseman
12/06/2010, 08:07 PM
just looked at all of mine and nowhere is that happening to any of my seven of them .no clue here my friend .

Reefman29
12/06/2010, 08:23 PM
It looks like it is just making more polyps. Similarly I have seen this on my toungue coral. If you watch the same polyps they will probably split and make 2 complete polyps.

CreatiVe2
12/06/2010, 08:31 PM
lol wrasseman thx for looking.

It looks like it is just making more polyps. Similarly I have seen this on my toungue coral. If you watch the same polyps they will probably split and make 2 complete polyps.

i have looked at it closer, and thats exactly whats going on, i found a few polyps in the advanced stages of the split, and its 3/4 of the way down the 'stem' pretty neat looking, i will try to grab a few pics. :spin1:

iamwrasseman
12/06/2010, 08:44 PM
thats pretty cool an i will have to keep an eye open for this . i have a headache now and my eyes are bugging out after that close examination .
update here ! my branching hammer is doing this as well .didnt see it at first .
my wall hammers are also doing something similar as they are growing a center "nipple" half way across the hammerhead and some are spliting .very tough to see but it is happening . at first glance you see nothing but if you reall take a close look its there pretty much the same as yours .
~so yes it happens all the time ,lol.~

CreatiVe2
12/06/2010, 09:12 PM
ahah!! thanks for checking again, thats pretty cool, and i am wondering why there are no other posts like this.

lol common knowledge i guess. :)

thanks for your help. try to get some pics!

60G
12/07/2010, 10:35 AM
if its not looking bad i wouldnt worry

kduen
12/07/2010, 01:52 PM
My duncans have done the same thing.

iamwrasseman
12/07/2010, 08:54 PM
i wouldn't say its common knowledge as i did look at mine twice closly before i saw what your speaking of but three out of eight or mine are doing this . i posted i have seven and now i see i have eight so thanks for the new hammer too !