PDA

View Full Version : Why use sieves

Caesra
12/03/2010, 09:34 PM
One of my great many questions is why do people use sieves for filtering out BBS, rotifers and such.

Alot, but not all of the foods that I use for rotifers and BBS are recommended for the tanks as well, such as Photofeast & Roti-rich, so left over algea in the water is not necessarily a bad thing. As I understand it, not doing this could overload a smaller system, but on larger setups I do not quite get it.

Since attaching my fry tank to my system and simply feeding unsieved food directly into the fry tank, I have seen a great response from the corals in my DT, with no noticable increase in nitrates or phosphates.

So I always find myself curious why do people do this? I simply have not come across any articles that discuss 'why'.

Can anyone clarify?

streak
12/03/2010, 10:06 PM
I belive its for rinsing off the rots and bbs with fresh salt water so you dont contaminate your DT or what ever your feeding.. When brine shrimp hatch there eggs rehydrate and put some nastys in the water.. And also they shed as they grow both rots and bbs.. Rots more like on steroids... I guess you could just get the decapusulated bbs and hatch them straight up in the tank or feed the eggs directly according to brine shrimp direct..

bertoni
12/04/2010, 05:13 PM
There can be a lot of nutrients in the growth media, and it might not match the salinity of the tank water. In either case, it can be useful to discard the water. More nutrients is not always better.