PDA

View Full Version : How to clean?

createdlight
12/04/2010, 10:11 AM
Just bought a 55 gal FDA approved HDPE blue plastic drum, thinking of using it for salt water mixing/changes. Was told by seller , It had a water soluble food additive, something with making butter, in it. How should I clean it? before putting it in service?

thanks gary

createdlight
12/04/2010, 02:46 PM
bump

kcress
12/04/2010, 03:22 PM
Hard to clean if it only has two bungs. I'd probably take it to a "quarter wash" turn it upside down on a tail gate or saw horses and then run a wad of quarters thru it with the hot high pressure.

If it seems that it's already clean just rinse it with hot water.

createdlight
12/04/2010, 04:40 PM
Hard to clean if it only has two bungs. I'd probably take it to a "quarter wash" turn it upside down on a tail gate or saw horses and then run a wad of quarters thru it with the hot high pressure.

If it seems that it's already clean just rinse it with hot water.

The seller said her husband wash these drums out, but it has the smell of butter to it. The drum is very new lookin one cap still has the seal ring on it.

So if i pressure wash this out at the car wash, is it safe to use the soap and then rinse it out? or should i use some white vinegar?

seacups
12/04/2010, 05:36 PM
i would not use soap, use vinegar.
also you might want to go to the car wash at night. some one might say some thing if they see you washing out a strange blue drum. at lest they would at the one by my place. they are very strict, with good reason, about what goes down the drain.