PDA

View Full Version : brain at a 45 degree angle OK?

Palting
12/04/2010, 10:31 PM
Hello to the LPS gurus. I hope to get help from your expertise, as I got no responses at the general reef forum.

I just brought home a lobo brain. It is attached to a reverse pyramid shaped rock. So, if I set it down on a flat surface, it is angled about 45 degrees. I can set it on the substrate, or rearrange the rocks so the brain surface is flat, but it looks kinda cool angled at 45 degrees. The flow in the tank is also in such a way that it flows from down to up across the face of the brain.

Is it ok to have the lobo brain at a 45 degree angle, or MUST the surface be flat? Thanks!!

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Aquarium/IMG_0225.jpg

RokleM
12/05/2010, 10:02 AM
As long as there is adequate light coverage over the entire surface once it's inflated, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Palting
12/05/2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, RokleM. Yes, there is adequate light coverage. I'll leave it as-is, then. Appreciate the help!

awestruck
12/05/2010, 03:06 PM
It should be fine and BTW, pretty animal! :)

Palting
12/05/2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks! Got it from a local LFS hat has been growing with me :). He had just started his saltwater inventory and had reef tanks that were 3 moths old when I started. When I needed hardy shrooms and zoas, that's what he had in stock. As my tank matures, so does his inventory. Now he has SPS, LPS, and what not that are suitable for mature tanks. I get a price break and first dibs with his stock, since we kinda "grew up" together :D.

Justin74
12/06/2010, 12:51 AM
FWIW, most of my LPS are at some angle,some nearly vertical. Works great at helping to avoid bleaching under intense lighting. It's when there flat and perpendicular to the light you can overexpose alot of LPS and shading becomes more necessary, at least in my experience.

-Justin

ccolt1
12/08/2010, 11:57 PM
I have a brain coral that is setting at about the same angle, it seems to help keep it nice and green without a lot of pale patches. Also the flow is important, too much can keep it from getting enough food. I like to feed mine brine shrimp using a baster and slowly pooring it into it's opening. If there is a high flow this becomes impossible, I also am able to set my flow for feeding which seems to help.

Ido1
12/09/2010, 06:03 AM
Beautiful coral!:thumbsup:

hatchtjuggal0
12/10/2010, 08:30 PM
beautiful coral for sure... how is it doin?