PDA

View Full Version : Rimless Question

VegasMike
12/05/2010, 12:21 AM
I have a reputable manufacturer building me a rimless tank. The tank is 72"x24"x30". They are building it entirely out of 3/4" glass. The front panel will be starphire.

What do you guys think? Is that glass thickness appropriate?

geaux xman
12/05/2010, 12:35 AM
Thats a tall tank. I'm getting a 60x30x23 3/4" glass rimless 3-sided starphire from Miracles.

Thats entirely rimless with no bracing at all? care to say whos the builder?

if you're going 30" tall, there wont be much looking down into the tank. I would just have it built eurobraced on 1/2" glass. I bet that would cut off 1K off the tank.

MSHUR
12/05/2010, 03:59 PM
I agree, thats a tall tank. Mike i wouldnt take a chance, why not just get 24" with 3/4" thick.
Are you getting tank from AGE?

VegasMike
12/05/2010, 04:18 PM
Nah, the former Oceanic guys in Dallas are building me a pair. I actually wanted a Eurobraced tank and they suggested this. I have actually asked them for what the additional amount would be to do it like that. They say it will be fine, but I just wasn't sure.

I will probably push them to add the bracing since that is what I wanted in the first place. I don't ev en mind a couple of cross braces instead of the Eurobracing.

MSHUR
12/05/2010, 04:22 PM
I would go with eurobracing then...:) Maybe 2" all around?

BTW, Welcome back into reefing:)

b_s_c1
12/05/2010, 08:30 PM
Nah, the former Oceanic guys in Dallas are building me a pair. I actually wanted a Eurobraced tank and they suggested this. I have actually asked them for what the additional amount would be to do it like that. They say it will be fine, but I just wasn't sure.

I will probably push them to add the bracing since that is what I wanted in the first place. I don't ev en mind a couple of cross braces instead of the Eurobracing.

If you are getting a custom tank built why let the builder tell you what you want. You are going to be spending alot of money so better make sure you get what you want and not what they want to build for you.

I have been going through the same thing the past week. I have contacted many builders for quotes on a 36x36x25 rimless. Some of the builders have been very helpful while others try to push something on me I do not want. One of the well know builders was going to make it out of 1/2. They swore it would be strong enough. I just did not feel good about this so I marked them off the list.

If they wont build what you want start calling other builders. There are so many just as good if not better out there. If you need some numbers send me a PM and I will pass all the numbers for builders I have to you.

VegasMike
12/07/2010, 01:08 PM
I have instructed them to build the tank as requested with 2" eurobracing across the front and back, but 4" on the sides as I also want them to drill holes for 1" bulkheads in the bracing.

When it comes down to it, they should be happy to do this as it makes the liklihood of any warranty issue that much less.