PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a quiet pump with a more energy efficient quiet pump. Will it work???

reefermad619
12/05/2010, 01:38 AM
Alright everyone. I'm starting to realize the only quiet tank, is no tank at all. I want my tank to sound like not one single piece of equimpent is on. I know... It ain't gon happen! My overflow is a bean, so it's quiet. I switched from a QO4000 to a Velocity T2; that helped. But then I noticed that sometimes the koralias get a little vibratey too. Cleaned them. Vibration gone. Now I've decided to try an Iwaki wmd20rxlt. The T2 is quiet, but man that thing sucks juice! on avg. ~120watts. The Iwaki was clocked at ~60watts. The T2 is currently plumbed with rigid 1" PVC from sump to inlet and 1.5' of 1" flex PVC from outlet, which goes to rigid PVC then up and over the back of the tank. I figured the Iwaki would be quiet 'cuz it has no fan and is water cooled just like the Velocity is. I've been told by several people that the Iwaki is very quiet as well. So I found a used one locally and will try it out tomorrow morning. I was thinking to add hose barbs to the outlet plumbing in the sump and inlet plumbing of pump, so I can run soft vinyl hose. This seems to be the norm when tyring to eliminate noise from plumbing cavitation. I figured I would do the same for the exit of the pump, but I dont think it's needed because I've already got the flex PVC running. Does this sound like it will work? Do you think this will be somewhat quiet? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thanks. And I know that it will only be about a $5-$7/month savings, but I would rather use that money for frags or chrome!