PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a quiet pump with a more energy efficient quiet pump. Will it work???

reefermad619
12/05/2010, 01:39 AM
Alright everyone. I'm starting to realize the only quiet tank, is no tank at all. I want my tank to sound like not one single piece of equimpent is on. I know... It ain't gon happen! My overflow is a bean, so it's quiet. I switched from a QO4000 to a Velocity T2; that helped. But then I noticed that sometimes the koralias get a little vibratey too. Cleaned them. Vibration gone. Now I've decided to try an Iwaki wmd20rxlt. The T2 is quiet, but man that thing sucks juice! on avg. ~120watts. The Iwaki was clocked at ~60watts. The T2 is currently plumbed with rigid 1" PVC from sump to inlet and 1.5' of 1" flex PVC from outlet, which goes to rigid PVC then up and over the back of the tank. I figured the Iwaki would be quiet 'cuz it has no fan and is water cooled just like the Velocity is. I've been told by several people that the Iwaki is very quiet as well. So I found a used one locally and will try it out tomorrow morning. I was thinking to add hose barbs to the outlet plumbing in the sump and inlet plumbing of pump, so I can run soft vinyl hose. This seems to be the norm when tyring to eliminate noise from plumbing cavitation. I figured I would do the same for the exit of the pump, but I dont think it's needed because I've already got the flex PVC running. Does this sound like it will work? Do you think this will be somewhat quiet? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thanks.
And I know that it will only be about a $5-$7/month savings, but I would rather use that money for frags or chrome!

evsalty
12/05/2010, 01:52 AM
Spa flex (sounds like what you are using) is not all that flexible and because of that it will still help to tranfer the vibrations from the pump thru the system. 1.5' of it however may be long enough for said vibrations to die out. Personally I HATE spa flex and will never use it. I definitely would encourage you to go with the addition of hose barbs and vinyl tubing for the sump to pump tubing. I also suggest that you put some sort of matting below the pump itsef. Most vibration caused noises start at the pumps but get translated thru the glass and the wood and then resonate at levels that bother us. If you can isolate any and all places that rigid items touch one another you can very much help to reduce any and hopefully all vibration based noises.

For dry items I use 1/16" thick sticky back foam sheets.

reefermad619
12/05/2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks evsalty. I'm going to put the pump outside the back of the tank. I've got about 5" inbetween the back of my stand and the wall. I figured I'd but some foam padding down and maybe even make a little box to cover the pump.

reefermad619
12/05/2010, 10:04 PM
That iwaki is the business! Got it all hooked up. I was running the old pump halfway outside the stand, but this one is being run inside and with vinyl tubing an hose clamps. This is really quiet. I'm glad it worked out. Now how long 'til my skimmer becomes annoying too?? :)

evsalty
12/06/2010, 10:40 AM
That is great to hear :)

reefermad619
12/06/2010, 02:29 PM
That is great to hear :)
YEP! And the iwaki is pulling less than half the watts the velocity was pulling.