PDA

View Full Version : First time posting. Need help

blackhawk701
12/05/2010, 07:10 AM
I bought an carpet anemone a few days ago and he has been doing good but yestarday he threw a fit and shrunk up and spit his guts up. So i turned off the lights and let him be. I left the house a few hours and found my yellow eye khole tangs stuck to the carpet anemone. I carefully removed the tang from the anemone and and the tang made it thru the night but looks really messed up cant swim very well and its body has welts over his body. What are the chances of him making it thru this? oh and the carpet looked perfect this morning. Thanks for the help this fourm has alot of great advice.

Chris

bradleym
12/05/2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome aboard, and best of luck with your new nem! If the fish will eat he's got a chance, but that sounds like a pretty bad sting.

As far as the nem, he may just be having some light shock but it sounds more severe. Could you post your parameters and setup info please?

blackhawk701
12/05/2010, 09:59 AM
I bought the tank from someone on craig's list it was up for 2 years before i got it it has been at my house for 5 to 6 months. Its a 110 with 2 250 watt lights. I took a water sample to the lfs yestarday and the said my water was perfect. My filtration isnt the best i will be adding a glss-holes overflow soon but i have a gbta that is growing big and the carpet i think i stressed it out by feeding it 2 days after i got him. I dont know what the stings do to fish does it kill them or paralyze them.

bradleym
12/05/2010, 10:04 AM
Sounds like the tank is pretty good. Good luck, carpets can be finicky.

The best way to describe the aftermath of a sting is like a burn. Or a wasp sting. But over however large an area the carpet touches. So its pretty nasty but it can be survived.

garygb
12/05/2010, 11:46 AM
Good luck with the tang. You said it's a carpet, my guess is haddoni. Since the fish is still alive today that's a good sign. However, carpets, especially haddoni do occasionally eat fish. Once a fish has been stung, if it lives, it will probably steer clear. Some people leave a little light on in the room or have blue leds on through the night so the fish can see.

Pics would help with an id of your carpet. There are a few species of carpet anemones. Here's an article with some information about carpets that you might find useful: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carpetanemones.htm

blackhawk701
12/05/2010, 12:05 PM
I have been to my lfs and we did id the carpet as an hoddoni i got a killer deal on him i will try to post pics of him later after work he is on the large side. I havent thought about leaving a light on for the fish to see i will try this becouse i dont want any more fish to get taged. But that is the risk i took. I am going to feed tonite so i will see if the tang is still alive.

Thanks everyone who posted for the help

blackhawk701
12/05/2010, 06:26 PM
well the fish didnt make it the carpets stings were to much.

garygb
12/05/2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. Haddonies pack a potent sting.