PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous/Aggressive tank.

samdaman
12/05/2010, 07:18 AM
I just scored a 40 Gallon tall.. And well i want to make it a Poisonous/Aggressive tank. I was thinking of having a Lionfish, Scorpion Fish, Leaf Fish and A Eel and thats it. What do you think? Will a Volitan Lionfish be too big? What species Scorpion Fish & Leaf Fish do you recommended?

Thanks

merkexpress
12/05/2010, 08:23 AM
Yes a Volitan will out grow the 40 gallon tank

evb9
12/05/2010, 09:16 AM
check out a fu man chu lion really cool fish and may be up your alley in forty gallons.

samdaman
12/05/2010, 09:19 AM
check out a fu man chu lion really cool fish and may be up your alley in forty gallons.

I heard those are hard to feed. Any thoughts on that? Also I feel the Fu machu and a fuzzy dwarf will look too similar to my scorpion and leaf

sevendigitcake
12/05/2010, 10:09 AM
well what is the dimensions of the 40? with the fish you said you wanted you might be able to get away with a fuzzy dwarf, a leaf fish and a golden dwarf eel. or you can substitute the leaf fish with a cockatoo scorpionfish( i think that is what they are called) its the one with the big sailfin and a reddish colour. also as a side note scorpionfishes are venomous, not poisonous.

bsagecko
12/05/2010, 10:13 AM
As far as lionfish you are limited to only the dwarf species...volitan lions are more or less a 10~12" cube that has to be able to move around in the tank which 40g will not allow it to do....(personally the smallest tank I would ever consider would be 75g)

If you get a fu manchu....try to obtain one from an extremely reputiable dealer....you might want to look into the dwarf fuzzy lion colors like red or yellow if you want a greater diversity between the other tank inhabitants...

Also in 40g I wouldn't recommend any type of "common" eel....on top of the already lionfish, scorp, leaf fish....as you are talking about primarily live feeding fish to transfer them all to frozen which will take time. I would recommend trying to get them trained to frozen mysis before you buy them and I would also recommend a quality filteration setup....I just feel that the eel might either stress out other inhabitants or increase your bioload to the point that maintenance in your tank will increase and decrease stability

samdaman
12/05/2010, 10:31 AM
well what is the dimensions of the 40? with the fish you said you wanted you might be able to get away with a fuzzy dwarf, a leaf fish and a golden dwarf eel. or you can substitute the leaf fish with a cockatoo scorpionfish( i think that is what they are called) its the one with the big sailfin and a reddish colour. also as a side note scorpionfishes are venomous, not poisonous.

I will have to measure the tank. and sorry i meant venomous.

As far as lionfish you are limited to only the dwarf species...volitan lions are more or less a 10~12" cube that has to be able to move around in the tank which 40g will not allow it to do....(personally the smallest tank I would ever consider would be 75g)

If you get a fu manchu....try to obtain one from an extremely reputiable dealer....you might want to look into the dwarf fuzzy lion colors like red or yellow if you want a greater diversity between the other tank inhabitants...

Also in 40g I wouldn't recommend any type of "common" eel....on top of the already lionfish, scorp, leaf fish....as you are talking about primarily live feeding fish to transfer them all to frozen which will take time. I would recommend trying to get them trained to frozen mysis before you buy them and I would also recommend a quality filteration setup....I just feel that the eel might either stress out other inhabitants or increase your bioload to the point that maintenance in your tank will increase and decrease stability

Im going to skip the eel and lionfish then. This is the list I have come up with. Let me know what you think guys.

Scorpaena brasiliensis "Barbfish"

Choridactylus multibarbus "Orangebanded Stingfish"

Taenianotus triacanthus "Leaf Fish Scorpion Fish"

Inimicus japonicus Or Inimicus didactylus "Sea Goblin"

FMarini
12/05/2010, 10:49 AM
sounds like a great tank. If you can find all those critters, it will be fun to watch during feeding time.
One point of note about your stocking list. prepare to be bored during times when they arent feeding. The stingfish will spend most of the day buried, and the scorp & leaf will be sedentary.
What i find folks do is add a movement fish (like a dwarf fuzzy) just to provide some form of interest.I"m not saying dont get cool scorpionfish- just be aware that your tank will look empty until feeding time.

samdaman
12/05/2010, 11:34 AM
sounds like a great tank. If you can find all those critters, it will be fun to watch during feeding time.
One point of note about your stocking list. prepare to be bored during times when they arent feeding. The stingfish will spend most of the day buried, and the scorp & leaf will be sedentary.
What i find folks do is add a movement fish (like a dwarf fuzzy) just to provide some form of interest.I"m not saying dont get cool scorpionfish- just be aware that your tank will look empty until feeding time.

Thanks, Yeah one this is having the list, another is finding them :D. I have come accustomed to not seeing my fish, I have a reef tank with some clowns that stay in the corner, A Firefish that comes out for feeding only then hides under a rock, and well the only swimmer a clown goby. So that tank got me ready haha.

I personally love all these fishes. I like there unique look. I picture them like Something you would find in a sunken ship..

I might look into the dwarf fuzzy. I was thinking of adding small damsels. As some swimming and occasional food. But I'm not sure If they'd chase them around to eat them, as I've read some wait for food to come to them.

You said they will spend most of the time buried. What substrate should I use? Also, would Lighting matter?

Wolverine
12/05/2010, 12:58 PM
One other point, just for education purposes. Those fish you're looking at are venomous, not poisonous.

samdaman
12/05/2010, 06:28 PM
One other point, just for education purposes. Those fish you're looking at are venomous, not poisonous.

Yes, after I saw that I put poisonous not venomous it was too late I couldn't change it.

sacremon
12/05/2010, 07:32 PM
My original theme for my tank was a venomous tank. If you were going with a larger tank, one option for a fish that moves and is venomous would be one of the rabbitfish. The traditional Siganus/Lo vulpinus needs a 70+ gallon tank.

samdaman
12/05/2010, 08:10 PM
My original theme for my tank was a venomous tank. If you were going with a larger tank, one option for a fish that moves and is venomous would be one of the rabbitfish. The traditional Siganus/Lo vulpinus needs a 70+ gallon tank.

I know, the foxface is an awesome fish, but a big one too. Maybe in the future..

namxas
12/08/2010, 03:35 PM
IME, our C. multibarbus (bearded ghoul) is a VERY slow, methodical eater that we keep in a species tank, since our other lions/scorps/stingfish/waspfish are all much heavier feeders. Just a consideration there. Beyond that, I'm not sure how it would cohabitate with another stingfish such as I. japonicus (which isn't a common find, BTW). If you do try to keep them together, I'd appreciate you letting us know how it goes.

The leaf fish may also be a fish that may end up being a "live food for lifer", however, the great news there is that they tend to train to being fed from a net pretty readily, so it should get enuff to eat.

S. brasiliensis is one of my favorite scorps as well as one of the easiest to feed.

I do agree with Frank that maybe a nice fuzzy dwarf or D. barberi would add some motion to the tank.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

samdaman
12/08/2010, 04:40 PM
Hmm, Thanks for the tip there, I was foolish to think I may be able to find locally :D I would still like to try them all. Which site would you say is pretty reputable. I have never purchased livestock online.

I really like the S. brasiliensis too he is really neat and pretty.

All these unique fish are awesome and IMO well worth the challenge. Which fish do you have out of my list?

IME, our C. multibarbus (bearded ghoul) is a VERY slow, methodical eater that we keep in a species tank, since our other lions/scorps/stingfish/waspfish are all much heavier feeders. Just a consideration there. Beyond that, I'm not sure how it would cohabitate with another stingfish such as I. japonicus (which isn't a common find, BTW). If you do try to keep them together, I'd appreciate you letting us know how it goes.

The leaf fish may also be a fish that may end up being a "live food for lifer", however, the great news there is that they tend to train to being fed from a net pretty readily, so it should get enuff to eat.

S. brasiliensis is one of my favorite scorps as well as one of the easiest to feed.

I do agree with Frank that maybe a nice fuzzy dwarf or D. barberi would add some motion to the tank.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

namxas
12/08/2010, 07:04 PM
All of them.

samdaman
12/08/2010, 09:10 PM
All of them.

Are they in mixed tanks? Do you have pictures?

namxas
12/09/2010, 09:56 AM
LOL...asking me if we have photos of our fish is like asking Santa if he has elves. My wife (seahorsedreams here on RC) is not only an aquarist, but a pretty gifted photograper.

We've recently moved, so the fish mix in our setups has changed a bit (we had 13 setups running before the move), but HERE (http://www.lionfishlair.com/gregandreneegallery/galleryfront.shtml) is a link to photos of most of our fish. Each photo is "clickable" and opens up more photos. Enjoy the photos.

Since you seem to have been "stung" by the "scorp bug", I highly recommend Frank Marini's (FMarini) new book Lionfishes & Other Scorpionfishes. Also, give his excellent article on LIONFISH CARE (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php) a read.

Also worth a read:

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen. (http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml)

It Don’t Mean a Thing if it Ain’t Got That Sting: Scorpionfish in the Home Aquarium (http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/careguidescorpionfish.shtml)

samdaman
12/09/2010, 10:18 AM
Haha true that, I checked some pics out, your wife is really gifted! Tell her the pics look awesome. Wow how was the upkeep with 13 tanks?
Ill check the photos in detail later today.

I've read the lionfish care and also the nov reefkeeping on scorps.

Im also currently searching for Frank's book, he is very knowledgeable. Ill also read the rest, thanks for the great links!

SO far I can get a fuzzy dwarf here locally, is there an order I should follow? Or will they all do ok when introduced at different times. No need for one to go in first?

LOL...asking me if we have photos of our fish is like asking Santa if he has elves. My wife (seahorsedreams here on RC) is not only an aquarist, but a pretty gifted photograper.

We've recently moved, so the fish mix in our setups has changed a bit (we had 13 setups running before the move), but HERE (http://www.lionfishlair.com/gregandreneegallery/galleryfront.shtml) is a link to photos of most of our fish. Each photo is "clickable" and opens up more photos. Enjoy the photos.

Since you seem to have been "stung" by the "scorp bug", I highly recommend Frank Marini's (FMarini) new book Lionfishes & Other Scorpionfishes. Also, give his excellent article on LIONFISH CARE (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php) a read.

Also worth a read:

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen. (http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml)

It Don’t Mean a Thing if it Ain’t Got That Sting: Scorpionfish in the Home Aquarium (http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/careguidescorpionfish.shtml)

DoubleM 10
12/09/2010, 10:33 AM
i have 3 fuzzies in 2 different tanks and they are some of the greatest fish. very personalble. once they are comforable in the tank they will consantly beg you for food by swimming agains the glass.i have 2 in a 55 and they hang together. swim on the glass tgether.

i would swear the smaller one is a shadow of the bigger one

the only fish i have that is more active is a clarkii clown. that shares a tank with a full grown red fuzzy. (hes the boring one)

and in the 55 the only one that comes close is a ghost ribbn eel. hes always looking for food to lol

i would highly recomend a fuzzy dwarf lion. great fish.

dont forget you will have to spend a great deal of time to get them to eat frozen. mine took about 1 month maybe a lil more

samdaman
12/09/2010, 10:53 AM
i have 3 fuzzies in 2 different tanks and they are some of the greatest fish. very personalble. once they are comforable in the tank they will consantly beg you for food by swimming agains the glass.i have 2 in a 55 and they hang together. swim on the glass tgether.

i would swear the smaller one is a shadow of the bigger one

the only fish i have that is more active is a clarkii clown. that shares a tank with a full grown red fuzzy. (hes the boring one)

and in the 55 the only one that comes close is a ghost ribbn eel. hes always looking for food to lol

i would highly recomend a fuzzy dwarf lion. great fish.

dont forget you will have to spend a great deal of time to get them to eat frozen. mine took about 1 month maybe a lil more

Nice thanks for your input, Is your eel with the full grown, or with the small ones?

namxas
12/09/2010, 12:50 PM
The scorp care article isn't the same one you're thinking about, so if you haven't checked it out, do so.

Frank's book is available on Amazon.com, and is a super deal. You might even recognize a few of the fish in the photos. ;)

As for order, in a way, it doesn't matter, but that's assuming that you'll be setting up a QT/conditioning tank. The reason I mention this is besides the "normal" reasons, we find that it's MUCH easier to get fish eating and weaned when there's no distractions or competition. This is especially true with the less aggressive/hard to wean feeders such as the leaf fish.

Just for fun, here's a little eye candy showing two of the fish on your list:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/newfriendsbras700.jpg

I STILL dunno what the brasiliensis was thinking here...maybe that the japonicus is a rock?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/ontop700.jpg

samdaman
12/09/2010, 01:10 PM
Ill check them all out.
Yeas I will be setting a QT tank, with some substrate since I read that this helps the scorps get used to it surroundings better and less stress on him since he knows he can bury.

Man those pictures are awesome! I like your brasiliensis a lot! And about the second one.. hmm that brasiliensis likes it rough lol jk.

The scorp care article isn't the same one you're thinking about, so if you haven't checked it out, do so.

Frank's book is available on Amazon.com, and is a super deal. You might even recognize a few of the fish in the photos. ;)

As for order, in a way, it doesn't matter, but that's assuming that you'll be setting up a QT/conditioning tank. The reason I mention this is besides the "normal" reasons, we find that it's MUCH easier to get fish eating and weaned when there's no distractions or competition. This is especially true with the less aggressive/hard to wean feeders such as the leaf fish.

Just for fun, here's a little eye candy showing two of the fish on your list:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/newfriendsbras700.jpg

I STILL dunno what the brasiliensis was thinking here...maybe that the japonicus is a rock?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/ontop700.jpg

namxas
12/09/2010, 03:39 PM
Since you're going to need the QT for a few fish, you might leave it set up and add a few pieces of LR as well as some substrate. Give the stingfish a good 2" of substrate so they can cover themselves (we usually use #3 grade aragonite).