PDA

View Full Version : SPS Dip

T-Rex
12/05/2010, 08:43 AM
I freashwater dipped some SPS last night (a minute or two with lugols), and every frag looks bleached. I've never freashwater dipped SPS before, so I'm not sure if this is normal? All my other coarls are freashwater dipped with no problems. It appears the polyps are still there w/color.

katpurdy
12/05/2010, 09:13 AM
why freshwater? saltwater and lugals sure...but fresh? What were you trying to get rid of?

T-Rex
12/05/2010, 09:25 AM
Well the guy I got them from had AEFW (Acro eating flat worms) in the past and I didn't want to take any chances. Now I'm worried...

gh0st
12/05/2010, 10:25 AM
I never Fresh Water Dip any corals unless I know for a fact there is something REALLY nasty I need to get rid of.

A Reef Dip, such as Seachem, Blackwell, Lugols, etc, either followed by a Flat Worm Exit dip, or with a tiny bit mixed in the main dip will typically do the trick with much less stress involved for the Coral.

T-Rex
12/05/2010, 10:29 AM
I never Fresh Water Dip any corals unless I know for a fact there is something REALLY nasty I need to get rid of.

A Reef Dip, such as Seachem, Blackwell, Lugols, etc, either followed by a Flat Worm Exit dip, or with a tiny bit mixed in the main dip will typically do the trick with much less stress involved for the Coral.

Lesson learned - so I guess what I'm asking is what are my chances here? What's your experiances with fresh water dips on SPS?

James404
12/05/2010, 11:20 AM
freshwater dips are definitley a no-no for SPS. I made that mistake once on a blue tip stag and it bleached right away, I was able to get it to come back but it took about 1-2 months.

T-Rex
12/05/2010, 11:57 AM
What really sucks is these were 6 frags. Most high end including an ORA German.