PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR test

Neptune_Fan
12/05/2010, 05:32 PM
Hello all....I was thinking about setting up a Fowlr tank..What are the main test that i need to be concerned with. Do I need to worry about PO4? or just ammonia, trites and trates? thanks

Recty
12/05/2010, 05:56 PM
I dont worry about phosphates at all, the things I'm concerned with are salinity (normally lower than 1.025, I shoot for around 1.019 now or so), temperature (shoot for around 75 degrees with the inhabitants I have) and ammonia which I want to be zero. I dont even bother measuring nitrates, it's always high but doesnt seem to effect the fish one bit.

I sometimes check pH but it's been rock solid in all my tanks at right around 8.1 or 8.2 so I've slacked off in measuring that. It's a test kit I have sitting around and if some inhabitant started acting weird I might test, but not a standard test I do.

Neptune_Fan
12/05/2010, 06:14 PM
thanks...so do you think I can get by without a skimmer?

lhm nole
12/05/2010, 11:30 PM
thanks...so do you think I can get by without a skimmer?I would use a skimmer just to try to maintain good water quality and reduce water frequent water changes

KevWill
12/06/2010, 05:55 AM
A big skimmer is probably the most important part of a FOWLR tank in my opinion, it keeps the water oxygenated and is good for the growth of your fish.

MrTuskfish
12/06/2010, 12:15 PM
. I dont even bother measuring nitrates, it's always high but doesnt seem to effect the fish one bit.
I agree, but there is so much mis-information on this subject that I've given up. There may be a few nitrate-sensitive fish; but most common FOWLR fish can do just fine at a nitrate level that would get me banned from this forum for giving a number. Testing phosphates can help if you have an algae problem; or just run a phos-remover once in a while.

Stuart60611
12/06/2010, 01:10 PM
Nitrate and phosphate are very relevant in a fowlr but have really no affect on fish. Their relevance really only has to do with a general indication of overall water quality (fish do better with better water quality) and because they greatly influence nuisance algae growth. Most people, including those who operate a fowlr, do not want a display covered with nuisance algae b/c it is very ugly, and nuisance algae is often fueled by elevated nitrate and/or phosphate.

As to the skimmer, you can operate a fowlr without one. However, I would never do so. A skimmer is one of the most important means of filtraion with the large messy eating fish, the substantial amount of food that needs to be fed each day, and the lack of a clean up crew in most fowlrs.

Recty
12/06/2010, 01:51 PM
thanks...so do you think I can get by without a skimmer?

Depends on your stocking plan and tank size... I dont run a skimmer on my little 38g tank, but I have just a few fish and only one is a piggy, so I'm not feeding tons. Plus, I do 20-25% water changes every week.

Having a skimmer is nice, it will help keep your pH stable and higher, it keeps oxygen in the water better and helps blow off CO2. I would certainly run a skimmer if you plan on having a heavy bioload. Even if you dont, a skimmer is a nice option.

I'm not running one simply because my stand and tank are small and I dont have room. I'm stocking accordingly. If I could easily fit a decent skimmer in my tank, I still would with my current stock plan just to be on the safe side.