PDA

View Full Version : hydroids feeding on ich

Sisterlimonpot
12/06/2010, 12:01 AM
I'm posing a question to see if this even holds water. No pun intended. ;)

Despite QT'ing everything that goes in the tank, I have introduced ich. About every 2 weeks I see the white cysts on the tangs and every outbreak it continued to get worse. About a month ago I added a rock with an acropora on it, since then I have noticed hydroids on the glass, (they must have survived the coral dip).

However, since I saw the hydroids I haven't witnessed a visible sign of an ich outbreak. And was wondering if this had some sort of correlation or if it's just coincident?

Can anyone else affirm this? Or at least provide testimony to the contrary?

I'm also hoping this can spark some discussion on why or why not it's possible.

Thanks
Jimmy

jonbry123
12/06/2010, 10:04 AM
Jimmy,

I can't provide any comment on the possibilty that the hydroids having removed the ich from the tank however I would be inclined to think not. Normal occurance with ich is too see it for a time on your fish then it appears to be gone. It is at that point where the cysts have left the fish and are duplicating in the substrate only to be released by the thousands into the free swimming stage which are not visable to the naked eye.

mscarpena
12/06/2010, 05:33 PM
Jimmy,

I can't provide any comment on the possibilty that the hydroids having removed the ich from the tank however I would be inclined to think not. Normal occurance with ich is too see it for a time on your fish then it appears to be gone. It is at that point where the cysts have left the fish and are duplicating in the substrate only to be released by the thousands into the free swimming stage which are not visable to the naked eye.
I agree with Jon.

denash24
12/06/2010, 11:31 PM
I can't comment on that either but I think I have found a way to get rid of hydroids....:blown:

bobbychullo
12/07/2010, 01:31 AM
I can't comment on that either but I think I have found a way to get rid of hydroids....

really? how? i just blasted some with joe's juice, gonna see how that works out lol

ryanuuy
12/10/2010, 03:00 AM
tagging along! id like to find out how to get rid of the hydroids in my tank as well! they look something like this!

http://www.coralpedia.org/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=6194

bobbychullo
12/10/2010, 12:01 PM
well, i blasted my bunch of colonial hydroids with joes juice. literally blasted them like a cannonball, dam plunger on the syringe stuck and released unexpectedly...

anyway, i definitely took out half of the appx. 15 or so hydroids that were beginning tho take over some rock...

a few have grown back but i will hit them again. i can tell the ones that are dead because their stalk is now hollow and clear and there are no more feeding tentacles

bobbychullo
12/10/2010, 12:03 PM
tagging along! id like to find out how to get rid of the hydroids in my tank as well! they look something like this!

http://www.coralpedia.org/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=6194

my hydroids were a bit different...

mine were growing in like this:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/images/HydroidsAsm.jpg

Sisterlimonpot
12/24/2010, 10:47 PM
Allow me to clarify, what I was talking about was more specifically the hydromedusae jellyfish.

SushiGirl
12/24/2010, 11:20 PM
I agree with Jon also. Regardless of whether it's the hydroids or their resulting jellyfish, the ich is probably in the substrate reproducing and will show up again. Otherwise, you'd be seeing the jellyfish on the fish eating the ich, right? All the ones I've had (a few different kinds) were avoided by the fish when they (the jellyfish) were swimming around, or the jellyfish just hung out on the glass because the powerheads were too much for them.