PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for proper care and feeding of zoas

muppet
12/06/2010, 07:41 AM
I think I may want to try having zoas only in my 55g mixed reef tank (right now it's FOWLR). I'm interested in as much advice as possible on zoanthid care and feeding. Things like salinity, light levels (and types), skimmer or no skimmer, etc.

Articles are good, too, but summaries are better!! ;-)

jeff@zina.com
12/06/2010, 07:49 AM
Toss 'em in the tank and don't touch them ever again. :)

Seriously, zoas are probably the most maintenance-free corals. Don't need to be fed, take almost any light and flow and even put up with less than ideal parameters. They're tolerant of a wide range temperature and salinity as well.

They like medium light and medium flow, and you can do some supplemental feeding if you wish. As long as they aren't picked on by the fish you have or buried in detritus, they'll flourish.

Jeff

mallorieGgator
12/06/2010, 08:08 AM
+1!
I have them in my tank and I feed the other corals and I rarely see the zoas close up in a feeding response when I feed the tank like some of the other corals do. I have them at the bottom, medium-lower flow and in full light and they're doing great and putting making baby polyps now.

Sk8r
12/06/2010, 09:10 AM
If you want to get into corals, the best step is to bring the water as close to the parameters in my sig as you can: zoas survive 'off' conditions quite well, as do discosoma mushrooms, green star polyp and kenya tree, but they really thrive where water is balanced in respect to alkalinity, calcium, magnesium. If you start with one test, one supplement, it should be DKH Alkalinity Buffer, and that corresponding test. (Never dose anything you don't have a test for.) Keep your alk in line. If it won't stay in line, do water changes. If THAT doesn't straighten it out, get the test for magnesium and supplement that (very occasionally)---and switch to a high-calcium salt like Oceanic, if you've been using one of the less spendy fish-only salts. [FOWLR salts don't have as much calcium.] And if the water STILL won't stabilize (hold steady in readings for a prolonged time) get the calcium test and supplement. Don't ever dose anything without the test showing you need it, because the salt mixes have all these minerals in good balance, and balance is the key to good water and good growth.

muppet
12/06/2010, 09:15 AM
I still need to get calcium and mag tests. I use Instant Ocean salt.

IAReefer
12/06/2010, 10:10 AM
I agree with every here that zoos are for the most part bullet proof. Since I zoos are my favorite and Im starting to grow some rare colonies out, I watch them pretty closely. I would consider using Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean now that your introducing corals into the tank. I occasionally put some reef chili in my tank and spray it around my zoo colonies. I also went quite a while without feeding them and they were always fine.

jeff@zina.com
12/06/2010, 01:17 PM
I use Instant Ocean salt.

Might want to move to Instant Ocean's Reef Crystals, better balanced for reef and not much more expensive. I find that with IO I need more water changes and buffering to maintain alk at a stable level than I do with Reef Crystals. You can just start using Reef Crystals when you're out of the current IO, it mixes the same.

There are costlier salts out there, but the key is, as Sk8tr said, testing. And test for a while before you start dosing, so you can see a pattern of your change. Some reefers swear by their specific brand of salt, but I think it's better to establish a tank on one salt before you look at changing. Make changes to your tank slowly, and with a defined purpose.

Jeff

muppet
12/06/2010, 01:19 PM
Man, I've got about 240 gallons worth of IO left for my 65g system.... :/

jeff@zina.com
12/06/2010, 01:22 PM
I occasionally put some reef chili in my tank and spray it around my zoo colonies.

That stuff ain't cheap. :)

I use Cyclopeeze and occasionally target feed zoas and other corals, and I tried Reef Snow, but I haven't seen a major difference either way. At least with zoas, other corals love it. Have you had decent luck with Reef Chili?

Jeff

Yaqngie
12/06/2010, 03:21 PM
One thing I have noticed with zoas that even though they will put up with a lot of swings in your tank. If you want them to be happy and reproduce make sure to watch your Mag levels.

Also do you have anything in your FOWLR that will munch on them

aleonn
12/06/2010, 03:46 PM
Zoas are quite hardy ime. They survived my total newbie days when I had poor lighting and water conditions. As mentioned they are relatively maintenance-free, but do keep an eye on ideal water paramters to help with their growth.