PDA

View Full Version : Problems with fromia indica

JustRoy
12/06/2010, 08:45 AM
Hey!
So I have had my fromia indica(blacktip red sea star) for around 4-5 months in my nano setup.
The starfish was extremely active at the begining, and one day he just laid on the gravel without too much movement and that's how it was for the past few weeks.
I have had a few problems in my tank like a drop in the temp'(although it was pretty slow the temp' dropped to around 65) and high alk which i'm still struggling with to lower it down.
I noticed that the starfish was really fat for a while, a week ago he looked skinny again. It's alive because it moves like 1/5 inch a day, and when i placed him on the LR he went back down to the gravel. I also noticed some slime on him, and once in a while a weird tiny green/brown bubble in one of it's tips.
Any ideas what can be the problem? he seem to thrive for a few months and now he's down.. :( I really love this creature.
Thanks,
Roy.

olemiss reb
12/06/2010, 09:01 AM
It's starving to death. A nano is too small for any fromia or linckia.

mscarpena
12/06/2010, 05:57 PM
I agree with the above post. Do some research before buying your critters. Researching will save you a lot of money and heartache. Also save the lives of lots of critters. Good luck.

JustRoy
12/06/2010, 06:02 PM
starving?
I don't want to be rude but the starfish looks a lot fatter than it used to be before i got it(i've looked on previous pictures and there's a clear difference)
I was thinking about the water parameters(high ALK) or maybe parasites?
I see plenty of film algae for him to graze on and he accepted some frozen food once in a while..
Roy.

olemiss reb
12/06/2010, 06:21 PM
Hey!

I noticed that the starfish was really fat for a while, a week ago he looked skinny again.

Starvation may take up to a year depending on the amount of rock and unless you have 100+ lbs crammed into a nano, starvation is inevitable.

JustRoy
12/06/2010, 06:54 PM
I've been researching and asking many people/owners before first of all.
If that might be the problem i'll talk to my friends and try to give it away.
Thanks again,
Roy.

Elysia
12/08/2010, 05:38 PM
If your starfish is, indeed, healthy, then if you place it upside down on the substrate, you should be able to witness it actively trying to right itself.

Detrivores could move about a dead or dying starfish -- did you see it move from the LR to the substrate? Do you see movement in its tubefeet? These types of stars really aren't appropriate for anything but very large and mature systems.

JustRoy
12/09/2010, 09:46 AM
It actually moves it flipped, and moved a pretty long distance when I placed him on top of the LR
I think I found him a better home, and hopefully he will live a few more years.
Still I cant figure why the center area is so puffy looking.
Roy.