PDA

View Full Version : Bad water, salt, aquascaping ????

pnavarro170
12/06/2010, 07:55 PM
got a bad case of cyano(soon to be red slime) on the sand again, but worse than before and here are the things i have changed, biggest one maybe is that my water source had to turn to the salty fin since the damn water house has been closed for couple weeks now. no i was told it was 9 stage filtered, but it didnt taste as clear as the water house water does. so i dont know.

next is had to change to coralife salt since i havent ordered red sea coral pro in bulk yet.

and last but not least i did re aquascape my rock(kicked up some loose stuff????) in prep for my new vortech. but the skimmer hasnt been working extra at all, actually less because ive been trying to keep the water as best i can since the last slight outbreak. any ideas ?????

deehz
12/06/2010, 08:29 PM
Pedro--Red slime is cyano. What are your PO4/NO3 readings? How long have you been using the water from the Salty Fin? Have you seen their system to claim it is filtered 9 times? Can you get a hold of a TDS meter to check the water.

Dude that sucks. What I learned from how cyano forms is a build up of nutrients in the system in order for it to form in the system. I went through it, well i think we all have at one point or another. I changed my water source to RODI, fed less (feed every 2-3 days), and got a reactor with GFO and carbon. There was no need for me to vacuum the sand since i have DSB. Do you have regular sand bed (less then 1.5" high)? You may have a build up of nutrients in the sand and is not being broken down fast enough. It may also be time to clean out the pumps. You will surprised how much junk is collected in your pumps.

pnavarro170
12/06/2010, 08:35 PM
well the skimmer pump is what 2 months old. and yes regular sand bed. no tds meter. ive been using the salty fin water for almost 2 weeks, probably 2 water changes of 15% at least. havent tested yet, but i will. overall everything was doing great untill these changes happened. has anyone else used the water there? if not where are people without there own units getting their water from ???? i swear by the water house water, but they have to be open. ill check if the east side store is open.

chuy marquez
12/06/2010, 09:01 PM
I hope they either open up again or close for sure. This is the second time The Water House closes. I'm going to set up my RO system in my house this weekend if they're not open by Friday.

mistaflicksta
12/06/2010, 09:24 PM
I use windmill water and I havent had any problems other than when I first started my tank. There is a windmill on resler next to souper salads. I dont have TDS tester but I do test the water and there are no traces of phoshate, nitrates, amonia, nitrites. I do need to put ph buffer in it but that is about it.

pnavarro170
12/06/2010, 11:08 PM
what were the problems when u first started???? and windmill is a water store or a brand ??

amore169
12/06/2010, 11:15 PM
I been getting my water from The Water House on Trawood for a long time and I haven't had any problems, (I think Sam the previous owner of The Coral Reef is the one who told me about this place) they also have one on Belvidere street, If I were you don't do to many things at once, start eliminating the sources little by little, I would check your PO4 and see where is at. Good luck.

amore169
12/06/2010, 11:21 PM
Wow I just read the whole post and that's where u were getting your water, check your PO4 if u don't have one I think Daniel or Jimmy have them, they can check it for u. Good luck.

pnavarro170
12/06/2010, 11:23 PM
do u know if the east side water house has been open ??? ill take some of the salty fin water to be checked if i got to go over there already. not that i doubt them but it makes sense and i need to figure out what it is now. and do a 15-20 percent water change.

amore169
12/06/2010, 11:31 PM
I was there last week, but here's there number on the east side give the a call before you go out there, 915-855-7505.

pnavarro170
12/06/2010, 11:34 PM
awesome thanks a bunch. is there pics of your tank here, sounds pretty cool.

strayvoltage
12/06/2010, 11:41 PM
I think it is due to a slow build up of nutrients in your system and by moving the rocks around and stirring some stuff up you have upset the balance of things. Do your regular maintenance and some water changes to see if it helps. Do by all means check the water and do your testing on the tank to see where your readings are. You are experiencing a mini cycle perhaps, JMO HTH
:wave:

Not to steal the thread, Arnie it's good to see you here posting. Please keep it up, and join us for meetings.

mistaflicksta
12/06/2010, 11:52 PM
Windmill are the wind mill looking water points that are all over town. I went to buy water one day and the guy was there doing maintanece on it and he let me check the system out. He expalined how they had to change their filter media once a month or sooner if needed. I figured I would give it a try to start cycleing my tank. I test the water I buy every time I remember to do so and all readings (exept TDS since I dont have one) read zero. I only had the cyano break out for a short period as the tank established. I also had a small outbreak when I switched tanks, which brings me to the next point.

When you move rock that has been sitting in place for a while, it exposes surface area that has been deprived of the bacteria that breaks down chemicals. You can call them dead spots, and these spots start a mini cycle until the bacteria balances itself again.

strayvoltage
12/07/2010, 12:04 AM
mistaflicksta, I think I just said that but maybe not in the same words. :wave:

puffin04
12/07/2010, 12:14 AM
Or we can just go out and get a RO/DI unit and be done with it!!! :)
I have the 75GPH BulkReefSupply 5 Stage Plus.
Andy has the Meleev's one which was another one i was thinking about getting. I think they are pretty inexpensive and will save your back from carrying water around. Thanks

Steffen Sparks

pnavarro170
12/07/2010, 12:14 AM
sounds good guys, gonna skim wet for a bit then, i feed only dry foods and on ocasion, also halides are on only 5hrs a day, with actinics the extra 2. so everything had been really good. ill keep an eye on everything and post the latest. thanks again.

amore169
12/07/2010, 12:20 AM
awesome thanks a bunch. is there pics of your tank here, sounds pretty cool.

I have a few pics of the corals and fish that I have but I don't have a build thread, I been buying equipment for the tank little by little, I just got my light fixture a few months ago from Aquatics Elite, going back to the water I bought a RO/DI from Daniel at Coral Reef but haven't hook it up yet, that's the best thing you could problaby do, also get a TDS and then your good to go.

mistaflicksta
12/07/2010, 12:22 AM
mistaflicksta, I think I just said that but maybe not in the same words. :wave:

sorry you had posted as I was still writing.

amore169
12/07/2010, 12:29 AM
I think it is due to a slow build up of nutrients in your system and by moving the rocks around and stirring some stuff up you have upset the balance of things. Do your regular maintenance and some water changes to see if it helps. Do by all means check the water and do your testing on the tank to see where your readings are. You are experiencing a mini cycle perhaps, JMO HTH
:wave:

Not to steal the thread, Arnie it's good to see you here posting. Please keep it up, and join us for meetings.

Thank u John, that means a lot, there was a lot of familiar faces on this past meeting.

strayvoltage
12/07/2010, 12:31 AM
no need for sorry i was J/K :wave:

You are very welcome Arnie. I do hope to see you at meetings. :wave:

puffin04
12/07/2010, 12:37 AM
sorry you had posted as I was still writing.

Well write faster time is of the essence!!!! lol

Steffen Sparks

amore169
12/07/2010, 12:39 AM
Or we can just go out and get a RO/DI unit and be done with it!!! :)
I have the 75GPH BulkReefSupply 5 Stage Plus.
Andy has the Meleev's one which was another one i was thinking about getting. I think they are pretty inexpensive and will save your back from carrying water around. Thanks

Steffen Sparks

I went to Marc Levenson house in Dallas when he had is tank and he's one of the most humble guys I have met with all the knowlage he has and shares it is incredible, well I'm talking about him cause he's the one that sells the RO/DI and TDS.

deehz
12/07/2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, buying the RODI would be a problem solver for sure. I am sure that TCR can order one for you. You don't need a fancy one yet, just one that does the job. For Christmas, i am def buying a 5 stage w/tds. Its a pain in the @ss to keep getting DI water at the local drink. I think BRS and TB aquatics has a good sale on their 4 stage systems. I have also seen them for sale on the national sale forum for as low as 40 bills. You would just have to get the filters and resin for it.

Since you already moved the rocks, on your next water change, vacuum out the sand but only do 1/3. So every time you do a water change, do 1/3rd at a time till you have completely vacuumed the sand bed. It really sounds that it is the source of water and collection of nutrients in the sand bed that have not been broken down that might be causing the cyano outbreak.

pnavarro170
12/07/2010, 09:39 AM
well i made sure to do a water change after i moved the rocks around, and even left the vortech on to make sure i got stuff out. it could have been this but i figured the skimmer would have been pulling more crud if that was the case? still wish i knew about the water. ill keep yall posted. thanks again.

pnavarro170
12/08/2010, 12:23 AM
been skimming wet, and also cleaned out the powerhead on my refugium, you guys were right that thing was dirTAY, so more flow in the refugium seems to be helping already. no joke. will keep ya posted, no water change just yet.

mistaflicksta
12/08/2010, 12:32 AM
you can also go with a diamond goby or a pink spotted goby to eat and stir all of you problems away

pnavarro170
12/11/2010, 11:31 AM
been skimming wet for almost a week now, didnt change lighting schedule and also fed normally, cyano is pretty much all gone, still havent done water change just yet. i wonder if i maybe need to be skimming wetter ??? but i usually have to be home in case it flows over. hmmmmm //???