PDA

View Full Version : Black live sand question

longboarder324
12/06/2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'm starting up a 150 fowlr and was thinking bout using black live sand. I think the company that manufactures it is caribsea or nature's ocean, i don't remember. Does anyone know if this type of substrate is crushed lava rock or just black sand? If it is crushed lava rock, what effect, if any, will it have on the water parameters (ph, cal, etc.)? Any info is appreciated. Also, if you have a pic of your tank with black live sand I'd like to see it. Pls post your pic. Thank you.

cakemanPA
12/06/2010, 08:54 PM
I have black sand in my FOWLR tank. It still looks great. BUT one of the sands that I used has magnetic properties. This in general is not a problem. But it does cause problems with magnet cleaners and pumps.

longboarder324
12/07/2010, 07:46 AM
I have black sand in my FOWLR tank. It still looks great. BUT one of the sands that I used has magnetic properties. This in general is not a problem. But it does cause problems with magnet cleaners and pumps.

Wow! That sounds crazy. Which brand of sand is that so that I know not to buy it. Thanks for the info.

cakemanPA
12/07/2010, 08:30 AM
I have a mix of Tahitian Moon Sand and Carribsea Live Black Sand. I suspect that it is the Tahitian that has magnetic/metallic particles in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasanden
12/07/2010, 08:36 AM
I believe that I have Carribsea live black sand and it also has magnetic particles in it. Not a 100 percent on brand but if your buying from a store and not online take a magnet with you.

longboarder324
12/07/2010, 11:33 PM
Are you guys pulling my leg? I'm going to give it the magnet test.

MedicalZoa
12/08/2010, 02:55 AM
Are you guys pulling my leg? I'm going to give it the magnet test.

all black sand is magnetic...because it is a form of lava from volcanos. just be careful when using a magfloat etc and you should be fine.

longboarder324
12/08/2010, 08:18 AM
all black sand is magnetic...because it is a form of lava from volcanos. just be careful when using a magfloat etc and you should be fine.

I guess i should be careful not to scratch the glass if some sand gets attracted to the magfloat in the cleaning process. Thanks for the tip. One more question. Will the sand affect an MP-40 in any way. The pump will be placed in the upper half of the aquarium? Thanks again

namxas
12/08/2010, 02:58 PM
Another issue with pure black sand is that it shows dirt like you wouldn't believe (think of how a black car or black suit shows just a little dust/lint).

Most folks are a lot happier with the salt-n-pepper sands out there.

cakemanPA
12/08/2010, 04:46 PM
Just clean the wetside of the mp40 regularly and you will be fine. My black sand has some grey in it from the Carribsea Live Black Sand. I think it shows less dirt than my white sand does.

longboarder324
12/12/2010, 12:35 PM
Sure enough, the stuff sticks to the mag-float. Tried it with some of my friends black live sand. You learn something new everyday. Thanks everyone