PDA

View Full Version : Reminder to those that have large cleaning magnets (ie. Tiger Shark & Great White)

MBVette
12/07/2010, 05:30 AM
I have a Great White cleaning magnet that I use in my tank. Well it came time to change the pads b/c it was dirty, so I pulled them out of the tank and sat them down to dry so I can clean them up a bit.

Yesterday afternoon I went to put the new pad on and put it back into the tank, and thought nothing of it. Well I got lazy and stupid and held the two sides about 8'' apart. Before I knew it they had snapped shut on one of my fingers. After cursing and finally finding some people to help me get it off of my finger, winds up it broke my finger when they slammed together.

So just be careful, and make sure you are aware of how damn strong those things are.

lvpd186
12/07/2010, 06:59 AM
Ouch! That really stinks!

T Diddy
12/07/2010, 08:05 AM
so they work well then? I might have to look into these great white cleaning magnets...mine aren't strong enough for my thick glass.

sorry about your finger :p

Uncle Salty 05
12/07/2010, 08:19 AM
It sucks that it broke your finger, but it could have broken the tank.
You got lucky, believe it or not.

T Diddy
12/07/2010, 08:43 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!

$150 for a friggin magnet???!!!

edandsandy
12/07/2010, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your finger :(
Thank goodness someone was home to help you!

Uncle Salty 05
12/07/2010, 08:58 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!

When you have a big tank you need big magnets.
Check out this bad boy:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Magnavore_Algae_Magnet_Cleaner_Non_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Magnavore-MN1131-FIMTAMCMNF-vi.html

It takes two people to move one of these. (the M10 model)

noahm
12/07/2010, 09:21 AM
When you have a big tank you need big magnets.
Check out this bad boy:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Magnavore_Algae_Magnet_Cleaner_Non_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Magnavore-MN1131-FIMTAMCMNF-vi.html

It takes two people to move one of these. (the M10 model)

Looks like a good product, but I have a hard time understanding how they justify the $300 price tag for the big one. Its not as if there is another $200 of materials/R&d/ etc. in one of those. Magnets are pretty cheap...even really good ones. The rest is just a different mold and a bit more plastic. Half the price might be reasonable. I bet you could DIY a pretty monster one for about $30 and have it even look as good.

Uncle Salty 05
12/07/2010, 09:30 AM
For one thing they are much bigger and stronger than any other magnet.
They are designed for VERY large tanks, they will probably work fine on glass 2" thick. In fact when not in use you have to keep a 2X4 between them or you can barely separate them. (even then it's not easy)
The OP said his Great White broke his finger, this thing could crush your entire hand if you're not careful.
It is unbelievably strong.

mcoomer
12/07/2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry about your finger, but look on the bright side. I'll bet you don't have anymore algae on your fingernails!

OMG!!!!!!!!

Look around and you can find these for less than that. If you've got a big tank these things are worth their weight in gold. You can also get a scratch removal kit that attaches to these so that acrylic tank owners can maintain that clear surface that makes those tanks look so good. Easy Blade attachments are another bonus for glass tank owners. Get one of these and you can keep your tank spotless. Check out the Tiger Shark, Hammerhead, and Piranha magnetic cleaners. They're much cheaper and they float (Great White doesn't) which is a great feature in a cleaning magnet. Tiger Shark is for thicker material, Hammerhead for thinner, and Piranha for material down to 1/4".

Mike

MBVette
12/07/2010, 01:08 PM
so they work well then? I might have to look into these great white cleaning magnets...mine aren't strong enough for my thick glass.

sorry about your finger :p
yeah its awesome. On my 3/4'' acrylic its borderline to strong, but it cleans most everything except coraline off of there.

Someone else said that on these things you need to keep something between the magnets when they are not in use otherwise its almost impossible to get them back apart. I usually stick them seperatly to my wall and they attach to the steel studs in my walls. lol People can never quite figure out what they are stuck to and how they hang in the middle of a wall.

BFG
12/08/2010, 12:03 AM
I am really nervous when connecting them back on the tank glass. 1 wrong move and I am without a tank.

drummereef
12/08/2010, 01:24 AM
I am really nervous when connecting them back on the tank glass. 1 wrong move and I am without a tank.

Put a soft cloth/rag between the outside magnet and glass before attaching the inside magnet if the pull is too strong. The cloth also will buff the outside of the tank in the process. ;)

Sorry to hear about your finger MBVette. :(

Uncle Salty 05
12/08/2010, 07:30 AM

Put them both flat against the glass about a foot apart and slowly slide them together.

SDguy
12/08/2010, 08:23 AM
Put them both flat against the glass about a foot apart and slowly slide them together.

+1... never slap them directly together!

cornraker
12/08/2010, 08:24 AM
I had that happen but it just pinched my finger real bad not broke it. Thos dang things are super strong! It snaps together like a damn lobster.

mcoomer
12/08/2010, 09:55 AM
Put a soft cloth/rag between the outside magnet and glass before attaching the inside magnet if the pull is too strong. The cloth also will buff the outside of the tank in the process. ;)(

+1... never slap them directly together!

All good pieces of advice. I have several microfiber cloths that I put under the outside magnet. I spray a blast of glass cleaner on the folded cloth, place it under the magnet, and wipe down all the viewing surfaces. Dampening the rag, and not spraying directly on the tank, prevents any over spray from getting in the water and keeps you from using more cleaner than you need. A slightly damp cloth easily cleans the exterior of my 180.

Mike

scottsdale454ss
12/08/2010, 07:59 PM
can we see pictures of your tank?