PDA

View Full Version : High ALK...???? what to do?

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone. I have tested my aqurium multiple times.. new kit.. Red sea.. I know its not the best test kit but..according to my tests last week and this weekmy alk is high... its got the stupied yellow to blue color swatch you compare with and its been blue.. reading high. I have done multiple 5 gallon water changes and it doesn't seemto be helping.. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

njudson
12/07/2010, 11:51 AM
How high are we talking? If it's ~12 or less you can just wait for it to come down.

Percula9
12/07/2010, 11:56 AM
That test is worthless, it doesn't give you a specific number. Buy yourself an API test kit and get an exact number. Stop doing water changes meanwhile.

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 12:00 PM
How high are we talking? If it's ~12 or less you can just wait for it to come down.

Well.. the test measures in Milli equaivalents per liter.. not sure conversion. High side is 2.9-3.6. of the high color pattern 2.9 is kinda greenish blue and 3.6 is blue.. so im assuming its atleast 3.6... again not sure how to convert that number.. sorry. guess i need to get a better kit..

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 12:02 PM
That test is worthless, it doesn't give you a specific number. Buy yourself an API test kit and get an exact number. Stop doing water changes meanwhile.

Yeah i have kinda gathered that about the kit... but is there anything that can be done besides wait.. I suppose the water changes are adding to the alk???.. thanks.

HighlandReefer
12/07/2010, 12:28 PM
As long as your alk remains between 2.5 - 4.0 Meq/L your are fine. ;)

Many salt mixes are high in alk and if you don't have much alk demand your tank will remain on the high side. If you are dosing an alk supplement, then you can stop until your hit the middle range which is the best you can hope for using your alk kit.

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 12:40 PM
As long as your alk remains between 2.5 - 4.0 Meq/L your are fine. ;)

Many salt mixes are high in alk and if you don't have much alk demand your tank will remain on the high side. If you are dosing an alk supplement, then you can stop until your hit the middle range which is the best you can hope for using your alk kit.

Thank you very much HighlandReefer.. To be honest i dont test as much as i should... but 9.5 out of the ten times i do all is well. Kinda a simple approach i guess.. i use b-ionic and dose manually. also iodide and occasional mag. And of course often water changes. Small tank 36 corner, so kinda volitile. Good news is im going to a 75 gal this weekend... such a project. could i ask you about controllers? I have a very nice setup for my 75 and was considering buying a controller of sorts. never used one but they sound amazing. Do u use one? any recommendations? Sounds to me like you can pretty much automate everything, is this accurate?

HighlandReefer
12/07/2010, 12:45 PM
I have not used controllers so am not much help. I use kalk water for top-off using an adjustable dosing pump in connection with the float switch. ;)

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 12:53 PM
I have not used controllers so am not much help. I use kalk water for top-off using an adjustable dosing pump in connection with the float switch. ;)

I have considered going to kalk.. with my new system it may be benificial. To my understanding its cheaper. Have looked at Randy's two part as well. When i purchased my rodi i also got an auto top-off but have never used one as my demand for water wasnt high. Any chance you could point me in the right direction as far as auto-top off setup? Just want it safe. Gravity fed isn't really an option. Just not really sure how its set up and dialed in.. Again, thanks much

HighlandReefer
12/07/2010, 04:16 PM
Using kalk water is cheaper than two part. It is the cheapest method for supplying calcium and alk in a balanced way. Kalk has a very high pH, so prevention of overdose like when using sodium carbonate two-part alk supplement is necessary. When using kalk water you only need one dosing pump on a timer as opposed to two for two-part. Using kalk water will allow heavy metals to precipitate out and not be added to your tank, unlike two-part.

I like to use the dual float switch for extra security against overdose along with an adjustable dosing pump. If you can't afford an adjustable dosing pump, than using a cheaper dosing pump put on a timer will help preven overdose.

joebo1717
12/07/2010, 05:28 PM
level loc auto top off available many places and brs is a great easy to set up dual to triple failsafe system. There is a cool video on their website that shows you how it works and how to set it up. that with an kalk top off should be good. Just remember kalk is to keep good cal/alk paramaters stable, you may need to adjust those levels first before starting use.

stingleyman
12/07/2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the helpfull info.. i will look into Brs for the video