PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator 3155 questions

jreiter
05/28/2003, 04:52 PM
I'm interested in setting up an auto top-off system for my small 30 gallon reef. I really like the idea behind the Tunze unit, using an optical sensor with a mechanical backup float switch. Very nice.

I just wanted to clear up a few things before I decide to shell out the big bucks for this unit, as it's so much more expensive than standard mechanical float switches. Can you verify that the 3155 unit will work with my setup just fine?

I have a 30 gallon main tank, with a custom 11 gallon acrylic sump down below. From the pics on Tunze's website, I'm assuming I can just attach the water level sensor by hanging it over the edge of my sump, correct? I'm not a big fan of using only suction cups to mount water level sensors, as suction cups have the potential to move or slide around. A good sturdy connection (such as a clamp over the edge of the sump) is definitely preferable. Is this how the sensor mounts?

Other than that, it looks like I only have to provide my own water reservoir and I'm set. Just drop the included 12volt pump into the reservoir, set the sensor to the appropriate height in my sump, and off we go. Sound about right?

Any good online ordering places here in the USA that aren't listed on Tunze's site? So far I'm seeing Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, and Champion Lighting.

Thanks for your help.

rvitko
05/28/2003, 06:49 PM
The mounting system is fiberglass and consists of a rail that brackets to the side of the sump with carbon fber reinforced screws. This will be much easier if your sump has no bracing or trim on it. Otherwise you have it right, except the system is generally best run on 9V but 12V is usually not a problem though it may shorten pump life and potentially could blow a diode in a surge condition- the transformer included is variable. The thing you forgot is their is a third safety, a 10minute countdown, if the set up isn't full in 10 minutes it turns off and sounds an alarm- the alarm can be turned off be using a jumper inside the unit. It is critical that the top off water go up to the tank unless your sump will be above the top water level in your reservoir. I would choose one of the listed vendors. I think we chose the most reliable vendors out their who met our demands for stocking product and having a long history.

jreiter
05/29/2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by rvitko
Otherwise you have it right, except the system is generally best run on 9V but 12V is usually not a problem though it may shorten pump life and potentially could blow a diode in a surge condition- the transformer included is variable.

Definitely. I'll run it at whatever it's made for. I was only saying 12 volt because I didn't know what voltage it actually ran at. I'm perfectly okay running it at 9. :)

It is critical that the top off water go up to the tank unless your sump will be above the top water level in your reservoir.

Why do you say this? Is that just to prevent a siphon from occuring and dumping the whole reservoir into the sump? I'm definitely keeping that in mind. My sump is inside my cabinet under my tank, so I can't physically put the top-off reservoir any lower. However, I'm sure I can come up with some fancy method of preventing siphon. Either that, or just run the hose from the top-off pump all the way up to the main tank itself instead of into the sump. Not a problem there, either.

rvitko
05/29/2003, 07:29 AM
No fancy method- just do what is 100% guaranteed, the hose is not much bigger than an airline and it includes hardware to support it on the aquarium. Otherwise the pump starts once and drains the whole reservoir into the sump because it simply primes a siphon, the other thing, the hose cannot touch the surface of the tank or the reverse can happen and the tank will drain bacck into the resevoir. Please don't get creative with this one, I have yet to find a check valve I would trust 100% and that is why we do it this way.

jreiter
05/29/2003, 01:57 PM
Ah, I didn't know the kit came with an attachment to hang the outlet hose into the aquarium. Very nice. I'll definitely go that route if that's the case. Thanks for the info!