PDA

View Full Version : Weight Scale

jtinoco
12/07/2010, 03:01 PM
Anyone in EP have a scale I can borrow (or rent for a fee)? Looking to weigh some rock.

-Jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tzhanks
12/07/2010, 03:46 PM
I have used a bathroom scale before and they work just fine.

mistaflicksta
12/07/2010, 10:03 PM
i have a small one used for mail shipping you can use. Are you getting rid of your rock?

jtinoco
12/08/2010, 09:24 AM
I think I might. I kept thinking in the back of my head that you said it may be the rock releasing the phosphate. If I ever stop dosing sugar, the GHA will probably come back.

puffin04
12/08/2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah if the rock was in a dirty system it can release PO4 and nitrate once it becomes saturated. You can also cook your rock as well to cleanse it.

Steffen Sparks

jtinoco
12/08/2010, 12:56 PM
Will cooking it stop it from releasing PO4? Or will it just go back once it's placed back in the tank?

puffin04
12/08/2010, 01:22 PM
Cooking will stop the release of PO4 and of nitrates. You will have to place the rock in a tub of some sort with a heater and a powerhead. It will have to remain lightless and you will be preforming 100% water changes on it ever week for a few months or so. Yeah its a long process but you will be glad that you did it. :)

Steffen Sparks

deehz
12/08/2010, 01:31 PM
Jesus--yeah that is the objective to "cooking" the rocks. Since you noice that the algae is receding a bit and the sugar dosing and bacteria doing it's job, I wouldn't take out the rock just yet.

Cooking rock is only a last ditch effort when nothing is working and all measures were taken to fight the algae. In your case, it sounds like you did get some "dirty rock". However, from the sounds of it, the sugar dosing is helping. I would keep up with the sugar dosing, eventually, all the PO4 in the rock will have released because of the bacterial colonies combating it.

pnavarro170
12/08/2010, 01:46 PM
so no before and after pictures ??

ahlebik
12/08/2010, 01:46 PM
Jesus--yeah that is the objective to "cooking" the rocks. Since you noice that the algae is receding a bit and the sugar dosing and bacteria doing it's job, I wouldn't take out the rock just yet.

Cooking rock is only a last ditch effort when nothing is working and all measures were taken to fight the algae. In your case, it sounds like you did get some "dirty rock". However, from the sounds of it, the sugar dosing is helping. I would keep up with the sugar dosing, eventually, all the PO4 in the rock will have released because of the bacterial colonies combating it.

I agree. I would stay the course.