PDA

View Full Version : Reef Crystals brown???

allsps40
12/07/2010, 07:42 PM
Ok I have gotten 2 buckets of the new Reef Crystals. Returned the first one cause it was mixing up with a brown tint to the water, alk was at 14 and ca was over 520. Mixed up 5 gallons of the new buck I just got to replace the last one and it is mixing brown also. I have not tested the new bucket yet but I will. Has anyone else had this issue?? I have been using Reef Crystals for 2 years now cause it is easy to get and cheap but I have never had it mix brown. This is just not right, I dont want my new water to be brown when my tank is crystal clear. I plan to take this bucket back also, maybe just get a bucket of IO.

bertoni
12/08/2010, 12:38 AM
Oh, sigh, the vitamins or amino acids might be tinting the water. I haven't heard of similar problems, but I'd definitely return the salt.

marke
12/08/2010, 06:24 AM
Any possibility its your RO/DI water? Maybe not the salt?

njudson
12/08/2010, 06:28 AM
Are you slowly adding the salt?

Spyder_78
12/08/2010, 06:32 AM
I have never had it turn brown but I have had several buckets that would leave a brown film in the mixing bucket. My RO/DI was fine when this happened.

EddieJ
12/08/2010, 07:48 AM
I have never had it turn brown but I have had several buckets that would leave a brown film in the mixing bucket. My RO/DI was fine when this happened.

I get the brown film on the power head and mixing can all the time, never had the water tint brown.

allsps40
12/08/2010, 05:34 PM
Any possibility its your RO/DI water? Maybe not the salt?
No I just put new filters in my RO unit.

allsps40
12/08/2010, 05:36 PM
Are you slowly adding the salt?
Doing it the same way I have done it for years. I add the salt a half cup at a time, sprinkling it in slowly.
Spyder_78, I also am getting the brown film in the bucket, never had this happen before. But the water for sure is brown as well.
I dont think this from the vitamins and AAs in the salt, I have been using RC for a while now and this has never happened.
I returned this bucket also and got a bucket of IO. The LFS called me back after they tested the water and had an alk of 8.8 and Ca of 380. This is weird my test kits are new, go them about 2 months ago or so. Going to LFS now with my tank water, new brown water and my test kits to compare results cause something or other is off.

Fig
12/08/2010, 06:07 PM
Should have stuck with Hw. :)

HighlandReefer
12/08/2010, 06:47 PM
Tinted brown water sounds like contaminates in the mix. Bacterial and algae blooms are either whitish or greenish normally.

I would not use it. ;)

allsps40
12/08/2010, 07:16 PM
Should have stuck with Hw. :)
Yeah no kidding. If the bucket of IO I got does the same thing I will get a box of Hw Reefer of a bucket of H2Ocean.
Ok got back from the LFS. We compared test kits with the new brown water and my tank water. This time the LFS got alk 14 and ca 380 on the brown water and alk 8.6 and ca 400 on my tank. I got alk 14 and ca 520 on the brown water and alk 8 ca 420 on my tank water with my test kits. You could see the brown tint to the water when you held up my tank water the the new RC water. Weird thing is the major difference in my ca results to the LFS on the new brown water. On my tank water ca the difference is slight and can be explained by using different tests.
HighlandReefer I agree with you 100% on contaminates in the salt.

allsps40
12/08/2010, 10:25 PM
Now the bucket of IO is mixing brown. Not as brown as the RC but still brown! I found a bunch of solid light brown flakes in the bottom of the bucket, that is one contaminate for sure. The alk in the IO is 13 and ca is 420. I think will just pay the difference and get a bucket of H2Ocean.

customdusty
12/08/2010, 10:44 PM
I also get a brown residue that coats the inside of my mixing reservior. Reefcrystals also takes a long time to fully dissolve, so my water looks cloudy all the time and a bit tinted especially when mixed in a white reservior or bucket.

I visited a local reefer's house and watched him prepare a fresh batch with Tropic Marin. It dissolved almost instantly and required physically less salt to acheive similar salinity as Reefcrystals.

I'm just about done with my last bucket of RC, then on to Tropic Marin from here on out. Of all the things in this hobby that we spent countless dollars on, why skimp on one of the core essentials?

allsps40
12/09/2010, 06:37 AM
^ Tropic Marine Pro Reef is great salt. If I could find it locally still and if it was not $105 for a bucket I would still be using it. I found a bunch of brown what looks like dirt in the IO salt after mixing. I think this is what ever contaminated the salt mix.

bdare
12/09/2010, 09:29 AM
FWIW, When I mix RC I also get a brown film on the inside of my mixing bucket.

allsps40
12/09/2010, 01:40 PM
Well I took back the IO and got a bucket of H2Ocean. Heard really good things about this salt and was thinking about switching anyways. Need to make more RO water so I can make water. I will post results on it after I get it mixed up. The LFS is going to send back the bad buckets of RC and IO and find out what is wrong with them. The H2Ocean has much better quality control and is bagged in the bucket along with a batch number. Something IO does not due, that way it there is a problem DD can go back to that batch sample and check it.

allsps40
12/09/2010, 07:38 PM
H2ocean mixed up nice and clear. Alk was at 11 and ca was at about 490-500 at sg of 1.025. I hope to see a difference in my sps with this salt.

sue711
12/10/2010, 06:32 AM
^^ I like those numbers.

allsps40
12/10/2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah the stuff seems great. I compare every salt to TMPR and that is a hard salt to beat. The RC always has a chemical sell to it when mixing, was never a bad thing. The H2Ocean had no sell as did TMPR, mixed fast and had great parameters. I dont test mag but have heard on here that it has good mag. DD also also a little write up on the bucket about mag in their salt. This is the first time I have used a natural salt as well.

Toadally
12/11/2010, 07:52 AM
This is the main reason I stopped using RC. I've been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. It is more expensive but well worth it.