PDA

View Full Version : cal. and alk good levels-dosing?

Megatrev62
12/08/2010, 05:46 AM
Have cal. at 400 and alk. at 9dKH. I'm dosing b-ionic daily to achieve these levels. How often do I dose to maintain these parameters? Daily?-3 times a week? 75 gallon tank with coraline really coming on at this point. Just need general idea once levels are achieved. Thanks

bazineta
12/08/2010, 07:15 AM
Swings are suboptimal, so in short, as often as you can; smaller doses more frequently will in general have a more beneficial effect than large doses less often.

One way to achieve this without a lot of hassle is to use dosing pumps, which deliver small amounts of fluid very accurately.

As an example, I use a pair of BRS dosing pumps (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-accessories/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html), and run them for 11 seconds every hour, calcium on the hour, alkalinity on the half hour. This results in extremely stable levels, and at my rate of consumption, I just need to reload the pump reservoirs monthly. That's quite a bit less work than I used to have to do, and the tank is better for it.

These particular pumps are very simple, and require a timer to control them; they were a good choice for me as I already had an Apex controller available to run them. There are more self-managing, standalone units also available. Either way, using dosing pumps is just so much better than doing things manually, I can't imagine ever going back to manual dosing.

Megatrev62
12/08/2010, 10:34 AM
Thank you for the info. Very useful.

RA
12/08/2010, 10:43 AM
It really depends on how much your tank is consuming. For instance if you have a mushroom only tank it will consume little, if you have a tank full of sps corals it will consume a lot more. Try dosing 2 times a week and then check your readings at the end of the week and adjust accordingly.

bertoni
12/08/2010, 11:50 AM
I agree that every tank is different. Daily dosing probably is best for tanks that consume very much, especially for tanks with touchy stony corals, because level swings seem to cause issues sometimes.