PDA

View Full Version : Is there a less messy GFO

Reefphile
12/08/2010, 10:42 PM
Hi!

One of the chores of this hobby I dislike the most is changing out GFO. I'm currently using BRS GFO and there is a lot of fine dust that come out as I pour and rinse. Does anyone know of a effective phosphate remover (GFO or a like product) that is not as messy?

Thank you in advance for your input,

justchilllin
12/08/2010, 11:11 PM
well if you do not like the mess in changing out gfo i saw this canister that you can take the chamber out separately so you dont make a mess on the way to the sink. Just thought it may help. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/m/o/modded-BRS-cartridge_2.jpghere is the canister that goes in the reactor
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalog/product/gallery/id/696/image/1789/

I know you are looking for a bigger size but this may help in making it less messier

justchilllin
12/08/2010, 11:12 PM
sorry here is the actual reactorhttp://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalog/product/gallery/id/696/image/1789/

justchilllin
12/08/2010, 11:14 PM
here is the link sorry html pic was not working
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/deluxe-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

iamwrasseman
12/09/2010, 12:29 AM
phosban is round pellets that are pretty clean and dont make a mess . gfo is easy to handle once you figure it out . i empty and fill my reactor in my kitchen and there is no mess ,my wife doesn't know im there .

Reefphile
12/09/2010, 11:07 AM
Many thanks for the suggestions!
iamwrasseman - you're right on point, I need to do this without my wife knowing...

I'll try phosban first on my current reactor (a small two little fishes reactor) and if its still messy, I try the BRS canister reactor suggested by justchillin.

Thanks again,

klepto
12/09/2010, 11:37 AM
Hi!

One of the chores of this hobby I dislike the most is changing out GFO. I'm currently using BRS GFO and there is a lot of fine dust that come out as I pour and rinse. Does anyone know of a effective phosphate remover (GFO or a like product) that is not as messy?

Thank you in advance for your input,

Great question.
BRS's GFO is strangely messy.

My question in parallel is what exactly is the fine rust colored dust that comes off of the GFO? and is it really of concern? I have loved the results of running this GFO, so I'm trending towards just dealing with the mess.

Also,
Is it okay to rinse it in tap water? or will that degrade the GFO? A high pressure hose blast seems to work well at removing the dust, but I'm not sure about how it impacts the GFO's effectiveness. I have been told to only rinse it in RO or DI and I wanted some confirmation.

falconut
12/09/2010, 11:46 AM
I believe that most tap water contains PO4, so the GFO will probably absorb some and become less effective. Not sure how much less effective, don't know how quickly GFO works. I use RO to rinse mine.

bazineta
12/09/2010, 01:21 PM
My question in parallel is what exactly is the fine rust colored dust that comes off of the GFO? and is it really of concern?

The fine rust colored dust is fine rust. GFO is, basically, rust. It's not of major concern other than looking ugly, so it's common to discard the first bit of water that comes through a reactor.

tmz
12/09/2010, 01:32 PM
I use the brs HC gfo. Much less dust. Tap water may contain phosphate, silcate , etc which may take up some adsorbtion sites on the gfo.

chem368
12/09/2010, 01:39 PM
here is the link sorry html pic was not working
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/deluxe-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

Could I run two of these in series with carbon and phosban? Or would I have to run separately?

allsps40
12/09/2010, 02:35 PM
I just started use Brightwell phos media. It is a white pellet and is super clean, no dust at all. I have not been using it long enough to say how well it works but I will update.

Reefphile
12/09/2010, 03:49 PM
Allsps40 - thanks for the info on Brightwell's phos media. I'll try this as well on my next media change. Has anyone else used this before?

djkms
12/09/2010, 04:32 PM
I am really curious about the Brighwell product. I want to run this on my system next but according to Bertoni it is aluminum based. Brightwell claims it won't leach anything into your water. I would be interested to see if they are in fact aluminum based (not that I don't believe Bertoni but concrete evidence is always nice). It would also be nice to see some testing with them to see if they do/don't leach anything back into the water...

iamwrasseman
12/09/2010, 05:43 PM
the dust is fine gfo and its basically rust . i fill my reactor and then run the return line into a 5 gal bucket until its basically clean .then my return line is put in line so it drains into my sock so anything that comes out gets trapped in the sock . it takes maybe 1 -2 gal of water to clean the gfo and then i just discard it and replace that same amount with new salt water . also to fill your reactor with gfo simply install the lower pad and grab the center tube gently lifting it up so its three inches from the top of the reactor ,hold it there and pour in your gfo . then just tap the side of the reactor as you lower the package back into place . it really is simple and you may have some residue on the top of the reactor after lowering the package into the chamber just use a paper towel to fluff it off the side . install the upper pad and screen and top ,done .purge it how i said in the beginning and let her go for a month .

allsps40
12/09/2010, 08:36 PM
I like the Brightwell so far. It is working well, dropped po4 from .32 to .1. I have not seen any ill effects on any of my sps. I am running it in a reator to by the way.

Stanley-Reefer
12/09/2010, 09:59 PM
I like Dr F&S brand for the money....it's wet like Rowaphos and works well. I have a large fine strainer that I add my carbon and GFO to and rinse till clear with RO then spoon from the strainer to my reactors...