PDA

View Full Version : Sump help

wbdevers
12/09/2010, 12:18 AM
Need some suggestions from everyone. My tank is a 55g FOWLR atm, but I will be adding my first coral Friday. When I first set up I didn't drill the tank. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and now wish I had. Regardless, I want to add a sump and a HOB overflow. My original plan was to use a 10g tank under my stand and rig from there. I've even drawn my idea in Google Sketch. My problem is that a 10 won't fit through my doors and I can't get to the holes in the back. My second thought has been to build a sump tank inside the stand piece by piece. Does anyone think this is feesable? I've never built a tank before. I am very handy, but I sure don't want it to leak. I've looked at acrylic, but again I would have to build inside the stand. I'm on a tight budget, so I can't order/ buy a custom made one.

Suggestions please!

Wes

Saltwatercoral2
12/09/2010, 12:22 AM
You can always run pipes so that the sump doest fit under your stand, you can put it in a different room or next to the tank, not really sure which you would prefer..

wbdevers
12/09/2010, 12:34 AM
Sump has to go under the tank. Our tank is in our living room along an L-shaped wall. The entertainment center is next to the tank, so I'm kind of in a bind. Again, 20/20!

Saltwatercoral2
12/09/2010, 12:40 AM
Do you have a picture of your stand with doors open and shut?

wbdevers
12/09/2010, 10:07 AM
Not really. My doors are 10" wide, but they are seperate doors with wood between. Therein lies my problem with room.

bobpiker
12/09/2010, 10:15 AM
Since you have 2 doors with wood between, you might try putting two smaller rubbermaid containers, one behind each door, underneath. Treat one as a sump/skimmer and the other as your return. Drill a hole in the wood between the two tubs and plumb them together with bulkheads and pvc or tubing. I can't remember where but I know I've seen something like this online before. I struggled finding a setup for an in cabinet sump for my 55, too, and ended up using a 10 gallon aquarium which just fit underneath. Later, I may try this same thing but putting another 10 gallon in my remaining under cabinet and plumbing the 2 together for more capacity.

Good luck,
Bob

wbdevers
12/09/2010, 11:14 PM
Here is what my stand looks like.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/bluwtr/Tank5.jpg

I tried fitting a 10 under my stand the other day, but my door opening is 10". Of course the tank was 11" w/o the rim.

I should explain further my problems. Because I'm on a tight budget I have to use my HOB skimmer. I drew a desing using SketchUp and have the skimmer in the sump tank with everything divided by baffels. My second option would be to hang the skimmer on the back of a longer but more narrow tank (home made acrylic/glass) because the back supports of my tank are just over 13" wide. Just enough room for my skimmer.

If anyone can tell me how to post a Google SketchUp drawing I can better explain my plan/ idea.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas thus far.

Wes

wbdevers
12/10/2010, 03:16 PM
Here is the design I came up with.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/bluwtr/SumpDesign.jpg

wbdevers
12/10/2010, 10:16 PM
Comments, criticisms, compliments? Really would like to hear some opinions on this. Would hate to make this work and then someone point out a fatal flaw AFTER I figure a way to install.

Thanks,

Wes

Bandsaw
12/11/2010, 06:32 AM
Can you put your sump downstairs?

Know what you mean about 20/20 hindsight with the drilled tank! Wish I went that way.

We did the sump thing under the tank for a while. Got to be a real pain. Moved the sump into the basement. Great move. Now I have lots of working room, a 40g top off water tank, 20g refugium, CaRa and a nice quit livingroom! - Which makes for a happy wife :)

wbdevers
12/11/2010, 10:05 PM
LOL! No, basements aren't a very good investment where I live--they tend to fill up during hurricanes!!! Seriously though, my only option is under the tank stand. I defo like the idea of nice and quiet thought. Thanks for the reply though.

Wes

iamwrasseman
12/11/2010, 11:22 PM
the easiest way for you to fix your situation is to lower your tank water 50% and drill the tank for a glass holes overflow . at the same time you simply have a friend help you slide the tank out from the wall so you can install a sump . they are easily built from a 30 breeder for you size tank . all you need is four pieces or plexiglas and you will have to figure out the width but the heights are as follows .
1@9" tall
1@8" tall
2@7" tall
sump should cost you about $50
the overflow should be aroung $ 49
you will have to purchase some hose and use some pvc pieces to build a return which will be a total cost of less than $40 so you will have it going for less than $150

wbdevers
12/11/2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

capt85
12/12/2010, 03:21 AM
I have a HOB skimmer in my sump and I don't like it. At minimum you will need an out top off to ensure your skimmer always has enough water to work. And i needed 18" to fit my skimmer in.

Back to hindsight I wish I wouldn't have gotten a HOB skimmer but you live and learn.

k7iou
12/12/2010, 11:03 AM
I am setting up my 55 gal right now and it is slowly coming together.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com You can set up a group buy for a discount or find one that is already set up.
I purchased the CPR overflow box 600 gph deluxe
I am using the 20 gal long for a sump.
If you are handy I would figure out a way you can modify your stand to acept the sump thru the front doors or into an end.
I am going to use the Algae scrubber simular to Paul B. in this forum.
I built my own stand with front doors and full acess.
Happy reefing :-)

wbdevers
12/12/2010, 09:38 PM
I've really, really considered, taking the doors off, cutting away the middle and putting on new doors. Main problem with that would be matching the stain, but I think I could manage that. I just wonder about structural rigidity, but I'm pretty sure that the weight is supported at the corners more than anything else plus there would still be a lot of wood left on the front and sides and the rear supports would still be there.

wbdevers
12/12/2010, 09:43 PM
Forgot to say that my skimmer is only 3 1/8th inches thick so I'm lucky there and it's 13" long. As far as water in the sump, I plan on installing and ATO as well. I have to go this route because budget is very tight so a different skimmer is out of the question.

wbdevers
12/15/2010, 11:32 PM
Here is my idea for a build in place acrylic sump.

My HOB skimmer would hang onto this one instead of sitting in it.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/bluwtr/SumpRedesignAcrylic.jpg

southernfish
12/15/2010, 11:53 PM
Like Iamwrasseman said, lower the waterlevel (I would go more than 50%) when u do a waterchange. Save some of the water u take out so you're not doing a major water change, get a buddy and move it away from the wall and slide In the sump. Sounds like alot of heavy lifting but me and my wife did it when I had my 55. It was faster and easier than we thought and I put a 20gal long i built(standard dimentions, i just added baffles and made a skimmer section/refugium/return area) under there with a hob overflow on the tank. u could also leave it a few inches from the wall and use a hob overflow and not have to drill a stocked tank. Safety and simplicity.

5ft24
12/15/2010, 11:59 PM
I have to say the CPR overflows rock... Just make sure you get the toms aqualifter with it so it's stays primed.

oscar.millan
12/16/2010, 12:14 AM
What does your tank look like from behind the stand? Same openings as the front?

Flippers4pups
12/16/2010, 12:31 AM
Be aware that some manufacturers 55 Gal tanks are "Tempered" on all panels. Marineland's are for sure. Found this to check if yours is http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542 I would go HOB spillway and +1 on removing 50% of it's water and moving the tank out enough to place a 10 Gallon (or largest) sump in the stand.

wbdevers
12/16/2010, 01:00 AM
While I like the idea building the sump out of acrylic because I can have a larger sump, cost, practicality, and doing it right are making me lean to the drain and move idea better. I have laminate floors so I can GENTLY slide the entire shebang a little at a time away from the wall.

Flipper4pups, you bring up a very good point. Problem is in my case, I have no idea who the manufacture of my tank is, so I have no idea if it's all tempered or just the bottom. The shop I bought it from just had it in stock. I guess I could ask the owner, but I'm not sure she would know. Sure isn't worth the risk of trying to drill it to find out he hard way.

The back of my stand has three openings--12", 13", 12". Each opening is separated by a 1x2 brace.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. When I make a decision I will let everyone know and I will show off my finished project.

Thanks again,

Wes

southernfish
12/17/2010, 01:44 AM
Good that u have laminate floors if u decide to slide it out and go in from the back. We have hardwood and it was a breeze. Easier to slide and shimmy than lifting and whatever with carpet. Good luck