PDA

View Full Version : Green Lettuce Sea Slug

Dave71
12/09/2010, 06:03 AM
Anyone have one? Was it worth the purchase? How long do/did you have it? Anything else you can share.

JustRoy
12/09/2010, 08:56 AM
Personally, I would be very careful.
I covered my filters intake tubes with the finest net I could find, and it happened, the slug sucked in and the filter turned it into pieces. I tried to bring an other one after covering the intake tube twice, and it just kinda got sucked in and it didn't moved too much. Don't get me wrong it's amazing looking and I really like it but with strong filters it's very hard to keep.
Roy.

Elysia
12/13/2010, 09:29 AM
You'll likely need to modify your tank to house them successfully, and provide them with food. They are very specific about the species of algae they eat, and what they eat is only known for some of the species. They will not rid your tank of hair algae; the ones that do feed on hair algae only suck the contents out of the algae, leaving the outer cell wall intact. And the slugs are not only at risk from pump and filter intakes and sump overflows, but also inverts and fish that like to "pick" at things.

scuba guy ron
12/13/2010, 06:43 PM
If I were you, I wouldnt bother with them. I have one I purchased to trty to take care of some Udotea algae. While I have seen it eat it the amount is so minute that id probly be better off with out it. I rarely see it. I saw it about 3 weeks ago for a day then vanished again. now and then it turns up but very rarely. Also the extent you need to protect it from pumps and intakes is rediculous compared to the reward for having one.

Dave71
12/13/2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks all. Input is much appreciated. Looks like I am going to pass on this interesting invert. Not worth the trouble.

Still looks cool though. :D

Bowels
05/08/2014, 11:27 PM
I never bought mine, but ijust recently discovered he was in there! Lol he's a cute little guy. About an inch long. All I have in my display tank is a jaebo 25 and my sump over flow hasn't killed him apparently lol I'm not going to change anything.

triggreef
05/08/2014, 11:50 PM
Waste of money, & will only die after starving or getting sucked into pump like everyone else said. Cool critters though.

Calappidae
05/09/2014, 09:44 AM
Lol, so much hate on these.

They only eat byropsis but they are very easy to keep. Just cover pump and filter intakes and it will be fine if there is enough algae.

Lettuce nudibranch also recycle the chlorophyll of the algae and when they are adults they turn photosynthetic living off your lighting. I've had mine for about two months now and he's almost full grown (got him at .25 inches long).. nothing's easier than an animal that never needs fed again after awhile!

Whiterabbitrage
05/10/2014, 04:43 PM
Agree with Calappidae. These are easy if you give them what they need. They are not CUC creatures. They are something you need to plan for. Be sure you have some Bryopsis and not too strong of a current. I've had my little colony for about a year. They will breed in the tank. However I believe part of the life cycle may need Penicillus species of algae. I'm still trying to determine if its needed. They do sometimes snack on it.
As for getting sucked into the pumps, yes they do. But if the head is in one piece it will continue to eat until it grows a new body.

I think they are worth keeping if you like Nudibranchs. They are interesting. If the water is fresh still, they will sometimes go to the surface, stick to it, and sort of do a dance.

Bowels
05/19/2014, 01:10 AM
Mine is still in there just saw him a few mins ago, he only comes out at night, must be because the flow is a lot less, smart little guy! Lol