PDA

View Full Version : New tank cycling at 2 weeks---what's up?

chathomas
12/10/2010, 07:31 AM
Have not checked any levels yet. I know we are not near time however I would have expected a algae bloom I thought by now. My lights come in today so I am hopeing this will stimulate some growth. I have 100 lbs of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand in my 90 gal. I do see some creatures at night and sponges are growing on my rock. Tell me when I get these lights up and running today that I can see my tank start to look terrible so that I know the end is getting closer?

RiddlerJoe
12/10/2010, 07:39 AM
Cycling isn't an exact science, it might take a few weeks or a couple of months. Many factors exist. Such as if the rock was live from another another source, live sand, used water or fresh, lighting, wether natural or fixtures.

The best way to tell is doing your tests. Test the water, it's nver too early, as you'll need to learn how to read the tests and interpurt the readings.

Riddler

chathomas
12/10/2010, 07:48 AM
I was thinking that I needed to do some testing. Just was trying to take it slow this time around. I'll test everything today.

RiddlerJoe
12/10/2010, 07:50 AM
When I started my tank I tested every other day to every 3 days. It's a good idea to practise testing as well, eventually it makes it second nature and you can do the test and take a quick glimse to see the colour.

Without knowing more details I'd say the tank hasn't cycled as it doesn't sound like you've had the brown diatom bloom...

Riddler

chathomas
12/10/2010, 08:01 AM
yeah I am pretty sure it hasn't cycled. I have just been waiting to wake up and see that bloom! I'll check some stuff today and post the results. Also, I hope the lights might help a little. The last tank I cycled I had MH going from the beginning. This time I had to order my lights because I went with LEDs but figured I could still cycle without lighting.