PDA

View Full Version : CSS125 surface skimmer mod - general question

J0hnnyD
12/12/2010, 11:01 AM
Hi all,
I have recently migrated over to RC from numerous other sites, and had a general question about a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 surface skimming mod.

As of late, I have been looking for a way to effectively surface skim my 46 gallon tank. I have yet to find any directions for a surface skimming mod, but I did find a few pictures of one (i believe on this site - but dont quote me on that haha).

Im thinking about attempting this mod on my own, but my question is this: in theory, would this work if all I did was add this pvc to where the skimmer suctioned right below the surface? Or, would this offset some balance of suction, water pressure, or something else that is vital to the proper functioning of the skimmer?

I believe anyone with a good understanding of the mechanics and physics involved in a skimmer would be able to answer this. I have attached some pictures of the mod i found below.

Just Hikk
12/12/2010, 04:26 PM
It would be easy to test to find out. Simply get the PVC pieces and stick them together unglued. Then run the skimmer and compare it to what it does now. Then you can find out for sure how its going to act in your setup. Its just an elbow that will slide on the inlet of your pump, then enough pipe to get to the surface of the water. The concept is to try to limit the head pressure on the pump so that it pulls more air because its not having to fight as much water pressure.