PDA

View Full Version : BRS Reactor?

sefrayser
12/12/2010, 06:47 PM
I added the BRS Reactor and put in 3Tbs of Pellet GFO. Its been in for about 5 days and my Po4 is still giving me about 0.1. It seems to be getting better but not much. Should I up the amount of GFO I put in? BRS called for 7 Tbs and after the research here I started at about half like suggested. What to do? I also picked up a trace of ammonia(.25), but I did add a Pajama and Blenny. I just did a WC. Could the Instant Ocean mix be screwing me up?

Just2Many
12/12/2010, 06:50 PM
My best guess is give it a little time. 5 days isn't very long

bertoni
12/12/2010, 08:00 PM
I'd measure some freshly mixed saltwater, but the media might be exhausted. How big is the tank?

sefrayser
12/12/2010, 08:02 PM
34 gallon and the media has only been in the reactor for 6 days. I only put half the dose, should I up it?

MrKite24
12/12/2010, 08:07 PM
What was the phosphate level before you started the reactor?

bertoni
12/12/2010, 08:15 PM
You could measure the output water from the reactor. If it's not noticeably lower than the tank level, the media is exhausted. I'd replace the media, and up the dosage to 7 tbsp.

Before doing anything, though, I agree that knowing the phosphate level before the GFO was started is important. I thought you meant that the level was 0.1 ppm before dosing, but now I'm not sure.

marke
12/12/2010, 08:23 PM
Yes up the dose!

bdbyace28
12/12/2010, 09:43 PM
They also sell high capacity gfo. I was able to use half a normal dose for over a month before changing it out when i used that media type.

sefrayser
12/13/2010, 08:06 AM
What was the phosphate level before you started the reactor?

With the test kit I have(API) it is hard to tell. It seems the color is getting closer to Yellow(0) than it was to green but there is still a hint of green.

MrKite24
12/13/2010, 08:12 AM
If the levels went down over the past week then maybe the media is exhausted like previously posted. Try replacing the media, but this time add a little more. It shouldn't hurt to have too much media in the reactor.

HighlandReefer
12/13/2010, 08:21 AM
When reducing high phosphate levels, the GFO will become saturated very quickly, likely within 24 hrs, until your phosphate level is low. So you will need to replace the GFO frequently, perhaps every three days, until your levels drop to below 0.03. After that you can cut back on how often you replace the GFO as need, perhaps every two weeks to one month depending on how much phosphate you add from fish feeding. ;)

Studies on phosphorus removal from fresh water and sea water
By commercial sorbents
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/files/Test%20report.pdf

sefrayser
12/13/2010, 10:37 AM
Very good article Highland Reefer. Thanks Everyone for the input. I will change the GFO and put 5 Tbs. instead of 3.

travis32
12/13/2010, 09:33 PM
Where do you see the dosage of how much to use?? I looked all over the place and couldn't find anything with the BRS reactor or the GFO container. So, I just filled it half full or so..

Is that bad?

sefrayser
12/14/2010, 06:28 AM
Bulk Reef Supply......Reef Calculator

You put in what type of GFO and how many gallons your tank is and it tells you how much GFO to add. They have a calculator for everything, even estimating how many gallons of water is in your tank.

Here is the link:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator