PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Bacteria?

BS#9247
12/12/2010, 10:19 PM
After reading the NP post almost 30 pages of it..*_____* i came up with the idea can exporting bacteria be done? kinda in a way we export cheato,to promote new growth-in bacteria?

please correct me, im new to the dosing and NP idea..

thx BS

buy_baff
12/12/2010, 10:46 PM
Yea that's the skimmers job.

BS#9247
12/12/2010, 10:52 PM
i thought always thought skimmers skimmed out the by-products from bacteria "waste"?

BS

HighlandReefer
12/13/2010, 06:08 AM
Most of the waste from bacteria is in the dissolved chemical forms. Skimmers will only remove the bacteria, other organisms, suspended particles & partially decomposed bacteria. It is believed that skimmers will not remove the dissolved chemicals. The wastes from bacteria are used by other micro-organisms including different bacterial types until the dissolved organics can't be used any more by micro-organisms. Some of the bacterial wastes that are in the dissolved from will escape in gas form out of the aquarium. ;)

noobtothereef
12/13/2010, 06:13 AM
Most of the waste from bacteria is in the dissolved chemical forms. Skimmers will only remove the bacteria, other organisms, suspended particles & partially decomposed bacteria. It is believed that skimmers will not remove the dissolved chemicals. The wastes from bacteria are used by other micro-organisms including different bacterial types until the dissolved organics can't be used any more by micro-organisms. Some of the bacterial wastes that are in the dissolved from will escape in gas form out of the aquarium. ;)

Are there any known side effects for having elevated levels of these chemical wastes from carbon dosing and the increased bacteria numbers?

HighlandReefer
12/13/2010, 06:29 AM
Depending on the bacterial type, there can be organic and inorganic wastes that can cause problems if the levels get too high.

The inorganic type of wastes that can be a problem include nitrate & HS for example.

The organic type of wastes are quite a mix and can contain toxins produced by the bacteria for example. Too high a level of the dissolved organic wastes can kill coral. Running GAC helps to remove these wastes and seems to do a good job for keeping their levels under control along with proper water changes.