PDA

View Full Version : First time using Kalk +2, pH shot up a good bit.

romanr
12/13/2010, 05:51 PM
I've been dosing Kalk via a float controlled ATO. The float is pretty sensitive so Kalk enriched top-off water is added in small increments via a MJ1200. I have a 14 gallon top-off reservoir that I have always added 10 tsp of Kalk per 14 gallons of water. Not a super strong Kalk solution but just enough to keep my pH around 8.15. Well, I won a jar of the Brightwell's Kalk +2 at our club raffle this weekend and figured I give it a try. I did the usual 10 tsp to 14 gallons of RO water. I mixed it well with a pump and let the solution sit for about a couple of hours. Well when the ATO kicked on it was on for just a few seconds but my AC3 started buzzing because the pH shot to 8.25 and stayed there. Nothing mayor, just not used to that much of a pH boost from my Kalk water. In the past I've used Kalk by Seachem, Kent and Two Little Fishies and these all provided about the same pH bump. The Brightwell stuff seems to be super charged. I'll just have to cut back the amount to about 1/2 of what I normally do. I'm just wondering if this is normal for this Kalk + 2.

bertoni
12/13/2010, 06:02 PM
I am not sure what happened, but Kalk + 2 should be the same pH per volume as the other products. They're all just calcium hydroxide, and mix to the same concentration after settling. The settling rate might be influenced by some additives, I suppose, but I'm skeptical about that. Lots of people have reported using this product without problems.

romanr
12/13/2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe I miscounted my dose. Thank you for your input.

allsps40
12/13/2010, 06:22 PM
Your ATO could have added a lager amount than normal also, causing the ph spike. I would not worry about a spike from 8.1 to 8.2, that is minimal. I wish I could keep my ph at 8.1-8.2. Even with my kalk ATO my ph stays at 7.8-8.0. Alk stays at 8 and ca floats a bit from 420-440. I just started using H2Ocean so ca went up to 460.

wickedfish
12/14/2010, 01:52 AM
The DD salt^^^^ ur talkin about should level your mag and calcium.

But ur alkalinity Will fluctuate IME.
My calcium never goes that high. Magnesium is my only consistent over the top but never hurts anything.
I notice 6 hrs after wc my tanks alk drops a bit so I do a soda ash dose with ro(previously mixed of course) manually.
Sorry. My ph also has stuck at 8.0-8.1

imagex
12/14/2010, 01:58 AM
Your ATO could have added a lager amount than normal also, causing the ph spike. I would not worry about a spike from 8.1 to 8.2, that is minimal. I wish I could keep my ph at 8.1-8.2. Even with my kalk ATO my ph stays at 7.8-8.0. Alk stays at 8 and ca floats a bit from 420-440. I just started using H2Ocean so ca went up to 460.

try opening your windows lack of oxygen in your room can cause low ph...

bertoni
12/14/2010, 03:06 PM
Actually, it's high carbon dioxide that can cause lower pH. Oxygen doesn't affect pH at all. It's common for a tank at a low pH to be at full oxygen saturation.