PDA

View Full Version : Phosguard?

falconut
12/14/2010, 06:25 AM
I've read that it is aluminum based and that it can possibly leach into the water. If leached into the water, it could cause issues with soft corals.

From a chemistry standpoint, does anybody know what the chances are that it could leach aluminum into the water? Is this really an issue or just a warning?

I've been using GFO, but I have to mail it in, so shipping makes it more costly. So, I was considering trying Phosguard.

HighlandReefer
12/14/2010, 06:41 AM
Personally I would stick with GFO. The regular GFO sold at www.bulkreefsupply.com is not a bad price. ;)

There are issues with the aluminum oxide particles getting into the water column. There are possible issues with increased aluminum levels which can be toxic at high enough levels.

Perhaps the biggest concern is the aluminum oxide particles that escape into the water column. Aluminum oxide crystals are sharp and can cut into (abrade) delicate tissues of coral and fish (gill tissues).

Randy provides more details in this article:

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

12/14/2010, 08:45 PM
I have always had an issue with shrunken mushrooms. I moved them to a shaded area of the tank thinking they were getting too much light but this did not help.

I was also using phosguard and carbon in a reactor, letting it tumble like you would GFO. Recently I ran the reactor like a canister filter by packing floss in between the phosguard and carbon so there was no movement. Within a few days my mushrooms looked great and were fully expanded.

This is probably not enough evidence to draw any conclusions but I thought I would share my experience.

saltygeek
12/15/2010, 05:56 AM
I have always had an issue with shrunken mushrooms. I moved them to a shaded area of the tank thinking they were getting too much light but this did not help.

I was also using phosguard and carbon in a reactor, letting it tumble like you would GFO. Recently I ran the reactor like a canister filter by packing floss in between the phosguard and carbon so there was no movement. Within a few days my mushrooms looked great and were fully expanded.

This is probably not enough evidence to draw any conclusions but I thought I would share my experience.

On here somewhere I remember seachem actually saying not to use phosguard in a reacter because the pellets will rub and break apart. So I'd say you found some good evidence:thumbsup:

CaptiveReef
12/15/2010, 06:06 AM
I use Vodka for Nitrates and Phosphates works GREAT!!!!!
Here is the link:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

CaptiveReef :thumbsup:

bertoni
12/15/2010, 03:05 PM
Lots of people had problems with PhosGuard, which is one of the reasons the GFO products became so popular so quickly.