PDA

View Full Version : Fading Blastomussa

bfam4t6
12/14/2010, 09:53 AM
So I have had a very nice Blastomussa Wellsi frag for around 6 months now. When I got it, it was very bright purple with very bright green centers.

Both colors have faded a little. But, I recently upgraded my bulbs and now the centers are becoming more purple than green. Other than the colors, I think they are very healthy. It has about 12-15 full size heads, and has started to grow 3-4 babies since I got it.

My question is, is this color morph permanent? I'm planning to set up a larger tank in which I could place the Blastos deeper giving them less light. Should they color back up to their original bright purple and green? Or, have I lost that beautiful shade forever?

mscarpena
12/15/2010, 06:39 PM
Hard to say, but most likely it will stay the color it is now. If it was in lower light when you got it and you place it back in lower light it might changes slightly. I have had this happen and change the conditions and the colors do change, but never to quite what they were. Good luck.

bfam4t6
12/16/2010, 09:03 AM
Dang!

Oh well. Thanks for the reply. Keeping SPS and LPS happy in the same 10 gal. is proving to be quite the challenge.

TwistedEnvy
12/16/2010, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't say that, I would say that almost every coral changes depending on your lighting. IME, blastos don't change very much so this is an odd one to me. But try placing it in a lower light area for a couple months and see how it does.