PDA

View Full Version : Replacing current water with DI water

bearcatbomber
12/14/2010, 10:47 AM
I set up my biocube 14 about 3 months ago. I've been using tap water to put in my tank since I set it up. My area doesn't have any major amount of nitrates in it, but it does phosphates, which is leading to both an algae and a red sliime problem in my tank.

I found out a LFS sells DI water for 50 cents a gallon and plan on using that.

Two questions about this

My regular weekly water change is usually 3 gallons. For a 14g biocube, how quickly will I see a reduction in red slime/regular algae if I start using DI water (if any)

LFS said I have to bring my own containers for this. If I take one of those big blue water cooler tubs, will I be able to store the DI water for a couple weeks without anything bad happening to it?

Thanks all

Sk8r
12/14/2010, 11:15 AM
Yes, you can store it.
It takes time, if you think of it mathematically, to reduce the level of say, red dye in a body of water. Every water change dilutes it further and further. But evaporation alone only concentrates it. So topping-off with good water will prevent concentration, but only water changes will diminish the amount. And doing several months of say, 30% change every month, will knock it down slowly and steadily. How much time before this is significant depends on how much 'dye' you fed in first---in this case 'nutrient'; but I'd expect some significant improvement within 4 months.

Uncle Salty 05
12/14/2010, 11:17 AM
You should buy a cheap TDS (total dissolved solids) meter and check the DI water before you buy it. It should read zero TDS.
Without knowing what your phosphate level is it is hard to say how quickly water changes will bring it down.
Your best bet is going to be adding GFO to your filtration system so that water flows through it.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide-phosphate-remover
Nitrates and phosphates are not the only harmful substances that tap water can be adding. Iron and other metals can also be present.
You should alternate GFO and carbon to remove as much as possible.
The water can be stored for a long time as long as it is not exposed to light.
Good luck.

joeychitwood
12/14/2010, 12:54 PM
I second the motion on the TDS meter. I was contemplating changing out my RO membrane at the same time I changed the micron and carbon filters, but I instead spent $25 on a meter and found out that I had zero TDS in my water. The membrane was fine. At 50 cents a gallon, it won't take long to spend the amount you'd pay for a decent RO/DI filter for your home. You can buy a low capacity filter system given the size of your tank and eliminate driving and hauling water.

89Foxbody
12/14/2010, 03:17 PM
For now I am buying RO/DI water at Wal Mart for 78 cents a gallon and after 1 change I've already noticed a difference in algae growth. My tank is 37 gallons so it's not crazy expensive. I top off about a gallon every 2 days though, which is gonna add up. I'm planning on buying an RO unit after New Years.

willy7499
12/14/2010, 03:50 PM
Watch out about the Walmart water. I was getting it from my local Walmart store for about one year and then I had a massive algae and cyno spike. I don't know how well they are maintained.

I bought my own RO/DI unit about 1 month ago. The only thing I can say is I wish I had done it much earlier...