PDA

View Full Version : Should hermit crabs and snails be quarantined?

npeters1989
12/14/2010, 05:20 PM
Just wanted to make sure about this before I end up screwing up my whole tank...:rolleyes:

Sk8r
12/14/2010, 05:55 PM
Some do, but they don't get ich. Get a bucket of waste water, make sure the salinity matches their water within .001, and wave them around in the bucket for a few minutes, or hold them under poured water to get the fish store water washed off, and then just put them into the qt tank with any fish you happen to have, or if you have no one in qt, put them on into the display. There's no test that will show whether an ich trophont hitched in via a water droplet, but there's nothing that's going to clean them off much more efficiently, either.

Jstdv8
12/14/2010, 06:06 PM
The tomont is the one that concerns me when it comes to QT, it could be attached to the shell of an invert, LR, coral skeleton ect.
I'm not sure if a wash off would take these encysted ich.

The trophont is a non-factor when it comes to Qting inverts since that is the stage inwhich it is actually attached adn living off of the fish. It's called a protomont once it leaves the fish, these little guys would likley be able to be washed off, but within a day of being released from the fish they encyst and attach to something hard at which point they become a tomont. Tomonts are the devils IMO

Cj923
12/14/2010, 09:21 PM
I never Qt snail or crabs??? Thats just me though

89Foxbody
12/14/2010, 10:10 PM
If your fish are healthy, I don't think it's something to worry about.

SushiGirl
12/14/2010, 10:54 PM
Depends on what you're quarantining for. When I bought my cerith snails a few weeks ago, a very small pyramellid or rissoid snail hitched in on one of them (I saw it crawl off the snail, onto my glass, and away) and a white/clear flatworm appeared in my refugium the next day (and was promptly photographed & flushed LOL). I tried to check before taking each out of the bag, but that's not the easiest thing to do with snails! I haven't seen anymore of either yet, but those are the only things that have been added to the tank (ever). I'm guessing a good rinsing/shower like Sk8r mentioned would have helped in my case.