PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Angelfish

dempsey6
12/14/2010, 05:41 PM
Is 3 really pushing it for a 150?

Im thinking of getting a flame angel, a bicolor, and a Coral beauty.

NewJerseyreef
12/14/2010, 05:51 PM
flame angel and coral beauty will not work. they are in the same family and will not work well together i have never heard of 2 being ok with eachother. one or the other with the bicolor would work though

Angel*Fish
12/14/2010, 05:51 PM
No, depending on lots of other things. You need to combine them carefully with commitment to catching any if things don't work out. Find out how and arrange the rocks properly. Tank and live rock should be well established. Bicolors are not a beginner fish. Lots of reading, planning.

Are you planning on corals? What other fish do you have?

Toddrtrex
12/14/2010, 08:13 PM
flame angel and coral beauty will not work. they are in the same family and will not work well together i have never heard of 2 being ok with eachother. one or the other with the bicolor would work though

All 3 are Centropyge.

I have a Coral Beauty (( C. bispinosa )), Multicolored and a Venustus (( Paracentropyge venusta )) and they get along surprisingly well. The Beauty is the ruler of the tank, but the most it ever does is swims towards the others, but doesn't get all that close. And when that does happen it is very causal, really doesn't pick up any real speed.

JTR0510
12/14/2010, 08:15 PM
if your gonna have alot of rock and they dont get along its gonna be hard to get one or the other out of there. i ve heard that the flame and beauty dont get along too well but i have seen them in the same setup in larger aquariums with no problems

Toddrtrex
12/14/2010, 08:20 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention -- an acclimation box goes a long way towards increasing the chances of it working. My most recent addition stayed in the box for a full week -- let everyone get used to each other, and it allowed the new fish to get used to the food I use -- want to make sure they are eating very well before being released.

Can see the left side of the box here.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Multicolored4-1.jpg

Angel*Fish
12/14/2010, 08:25 PM
^^^Good method^^^

I had a CB and flame together for a brief time - about 3 weeks. The coral beauty just dropped dead one day. I'm pretty sure it was a collection issue. Anyway, they were ok, but I did suspect some issues and based on that I chose a species that was more different looking as a replacement. There's the vertical stripe thing and who knows what colors they're seeing.

It's definitely something worthy of concern in my opinion. But I just don't have any long term experience.

Toddrtrex
12/14/2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks -- I have found that it works really well.

And when I released the multi-colored I opened the top, but left the box in there, it actually went back in there a few times -- when my wrasse was bugging it -- and now things are going really well.