PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Observation

reggiepe
12/14/2010, 06:48 PM
I had an interesting episode today. Wasn't as bad as it could have been....thankfully so. Failsafe's in an Apex unit are a Godsend. Anyway, my observation.

I had an ATO pump an extra 1.5 to 2 gallons into my 75 gallon display today. When I got home I noticed it and started checking my inhabitants. The only thing that I can see with a noticable change is my RBTA. It Bubbled up! It hasn't done this since I had seen it in the LFS tank. So I can only conclude 2 possible scenarios that would have caused this.....one being the sudden drop in salinity was more to it's liking, or that the stress of the sudden change in salinity caused it to bubble up. I will keep it under close observation for the next few days as I raise the salinity up to where it is normally. I'll also look for one of the best stress symptoms....a split!

Maybe someone else has observed this behavior. Just thought I would share.

bradleym
12/14/2010, 07:14 PM
Interesting. What was your salinity before and after?

sirbiggstixx
12/14/2010, 07:17 PM
it could be that..depending on how long you have had it, it might just be getting used to your tank and lights..

usually stress causes it to shrink down..but thats just my experience with my gbta

reggiepe
12/14/2010, 07:26 PM
Interesting. What was your salinity before and after?

I usually keep it rock solid at 35ppt. The extra topoff took it down to right around 33ppt.

it could be that..depending on how long you have had it, it might just be getting used to your tank and lights..

I have had it under the same lights for about 8 - 9 months now. It hasn't moved from it's current spot for almost that long. Basically settled into that spot shortly after I got it.

reggiepe
12/15/2010, 06:10 AM
The bubble tips are gone. This morning I checked before leaving for work and the RBTA changed back to the long tentacles. I haven;t made any changes other than to allow natural evaporation to take care of bringing the salinity back in check. This would only be about 12 hours of evaporation overnight. My evap loss is alot lower at night time with the lights off, so I don't know what to attribute it to. Just a peculiar observation that we can add to the list to find out what the contibutors are to an RBTA losing it's bubbletips.

AquaReeferMan
12/15/2010, 08:51 AM
I have 2 GBTAs and 1 RBTA in the same tank. 1 of the greens bubbles most of the time while the other rarely shows any. The Red one goes back and forth. BTAs confuse me lol.