PDA

View Full Version : Kalk

kason42
12/14/2010, 08:25 PM
I dose BRS 2 part and have been for about a year and a half. My levels stay pretty stable. I hear a lot about people using calcium reactors or two part in combination with kalkwasser. I'm wondering how using kalk, in addition to another method such as a calcium reactor or 2 part, doesn't push Ca and Kh levels too high. Am I missing something? I would like to add it with my top off for pH reasons and because of its benifits with phosphate reduction.

Toadally
12/14/2010, 10:48 PM
I use kalk in my top off water. If you start using it get a baseline on your parameters and go from there. It kept my ca and alk stable for a while but I eventually had to start dosing 2 part. It also keeps the PH up to where I want it. I don't know if it does much for PO4 though....

reefology
12/14/2010, 11:32 PM
I'm wondering how using kalk, in addition to another method such as a calcium reactor or 2 part, doesn't push Ca and Kh levels too high. Am I missing something?

you'll have to gear down and redial in the 2 part again once you start adding kalk. simply cut back dosing until you reach the desired levels.

One problem you're going to have is as your evaporation rate changes, so will the amount of calcium introduced. so it's a real challenge to balance using this set-up...you'll be forever testing. I would just drip kalk separately to control how much is added rather than adding it to ato. i know...I know, just one more thing to dose!!!

good luck

kason42
12/15/2010, 06:38 AM
Thank you guys. That answered my question. The phosphate thing I'm talking about is I heard that kalk causes phosphates to precipitate out as calcium phosphate. I read that in an article, but being that I've never used kalk, I don't know if that's a fact.

marke
12/15/2010, 06:48 AM
I love kalk and recommend it! Yes dosing is more controlled then ato. But ATO is easier. I started dosing along with 2part . Then the kalk dosing increased to 24/7 and it about equaled my evaporation rate. Thats when I switched to an ato gravity fed 3gal kalk resevoiur. RC tought me you can oversaturate the container, so I dont need to add kalk but once a month or so. I also dose 2 part via dosing pumps. My sugesstion is get your levels were you want them, put the kalk on ato without running 2 part for a week. See what you depleted or maintained, then turn on your 2 part slowly, or do a water change with slightly elevated CA and Mg and you might not need to dose much or at all. DISCLAIMER--I am not a chemist, just a poor fool thats tried everthing.

neoalchemist74
12/15/2010, 06:51 AM
As an sps tank matures you might find you have to dose kalk just to keep up with calcium demand. I top off with kalk and run a large calcium reactor and still have trouble keeping cal above 400 and in a 75 gal tank because of a lot of relatively large sps colonies

bertoni
12/15/2010, 03:09 PM
Kalk might cause phosphate to precipitate in the form of calcium phosphate, but that's never been demonstrated to happen, and I'm skeptical. A fair number of people run kalk and have phosphate problems, so I'd look elsewhere for a solution to that type of issue.

kason42
12/15/2010, 03:57 PM
First off, seriously, thank you. You guys all are very informative. I was reading that phosphate information in an article and I thought it had something to do with undissolved phosphate, not phosphate in the water column. I use a phosban reactor with gfo, skim, and use ro for my top off and changes, but my diatoms on the glass seem to not change. I figured it must be phosphate coming from somewhere..even though I'm testing unreadable amounts. It's probably also time to change my bulbs which I'm sure isn't helping. I'm going to take everyones advice and try out some kalk.