PDA

View Full Version : mixing a soulution of sodium carbonate with sodium bicarbonate

Mr Coffee
12/14/2010, 10:45 PM
I am pretty sure that it is OK to mix a solution of Sodium Carbonate with Sodium Bicarbonate in the same container then dose with this but I just want to ensure that this OK to do before I start doing that. If it is why don't more people do this? What would the drawbacks be? Would there be any advantages? Do some of the 2 part solutions that people purchase do this?

Thanks much

UVvis
12/15/2010, 04:36 AM
It is fine to do. You just need to watch the pH of what you are dosing. Also, if you solution is neat saturation point, you will usually have carbonate salts precipitate out.

Mr Coffee
12/15/2010, 07:27 AM
I was pretty sure that this was the case. I was wondering how many people do this to keep their PH dialed in? Ie mix 70% sodium carbonate and 30% sodium bicarbonate this would of course depend on season IE how closed up your house was but it might be a way to dial in your PH even more? I am just trying to get my system as stable as possible.

Any input from the masses?

I was wondering if their might be some other chemical benefits to using both in one solution?

HighlandReefer
12/15/2010, 08:08 AM
If your pH is low, than the advantage of sodium carbonate is that it does have a high pH (around a pH of 10 -11 if IIRC) and will provide a boost in pH of your tank water provided you dose it slowly over prolonged time. The high pH of sodium carbonate can be a disadvantage at the same time, in that this high pH is conducive to calcium carbonate precipitation in your reef tank where added, especially if it is dosed in too large an amounts at one time rather than dripped or if it is added in an area that has low flow.

Using sodium bicarbonate has a pH around 8.0 and its effect on tank pH is very minimal. There is less chances of calcium carbonate precipitation using it.

Using a combination of the two results in a median between the two as far as pH increases and calcium carbonate precipitation depending on the ratio of the two used.

FWIW, if you need a greater boost in pH for your tank water, than using saturated kalk water will provide a greater boost than sodium carbonate, since the pH of saturated kalk water is around 12.4. Saturated kalk water will provide about twice the pH boost of sodium carbonate. ;)

Habib
12/15/2010, 08:24 AM
That ratio will give a rather high pH mix. See also the comments made by Cliff.

If you want to go for a mix then I would do approx 10% carbonate and 90% bicarbonate.

I was pretty sure that this was the case. I was wondering how many people do this to keep their PH dialed in? Ie mix 70% sodium carbonate and 30% sodium bicarbonate this would of course depend on season IE how closed up your house was but it might be a way to dial in your PH even more? I am just trying to get my system as stable as possible.

Any input from the masses?

I was wondering if their might be some other chemical benefits to using both in one solution?