PDA

View Full Version : Should I add carbon to my HOB refugium?

WienerDog
12/15/2010, 01:15 PM
My tank has been going for a few weeks now. BTW, its a 20g long. I intend on keeping softies, LPS, and some fish. I have a CUC in there already. The fuge is loaded with live rubble rock, chaeto, and a 3" sand bed. My question is...Should I add carbon to refugium? and if so, where? I have this refugium/skimmer....

http://www.amazon.com/CPR-AquaFuge-Refugium-Protein-Skimmer/dp/B001EU7M6A

Toddrtrex
12/15/2010, 01:51 PM
You could add a bag full of it -- I would just place it in an area that won't have any chance of blocking the output. It won't be as effective (( since it will be passive )) but, will work.

WienerDog
12/15/2010, 02:41 PM
You could add a bag full of it -- I would just place it in an area that won't have any chance of blocking the output. It won't be as effective (( since it will be passive )) but, will work.
Todd, what do you mean by passive? Is that literal, as in the water just passes over it?

Toddrtrex
12/15/2010, 02:48 PM
Todd, what do you mean by passive? Is that literal, as in the water just passes over it?

In the sense that you aren't "forcing" the water to go through the carbon -- which in your set up wouldn't be ideal. Active would be akin to getting a carbon reactor -- there really is nowhere for the water to go, except through the carbon.

In 2 of my tank I have something in-between -- the carbon is sitting on a shelf in my sump, the water has to go through it, but no real pressure behind it.

mthomp
12/15/2010, 02:53 PM
my old tank used one of these for carbon and gfo
http://www.aquariumguys.com/emperorpower.html
it came with 2 empty cartridges I would put carbon in one and gfo in the other and worked great, and was easily maintained. only thing i did was remove the biowheel portion of this setup.

rcoughtrey
12/15/2010, 03:03 PM
I have the CPR and I run a carbon back on the outlet section.

I have never seen an issue with this blocking the outlet pipe. I make sure most the bulk of carbon is under the outlet. Seems to be working well for me. The water is crystal clear. I can get you a pic if want to see it is located

Dwerbs
12/15/2010, 04:13 PM
worked wonders for my tank.

WienerDog
12/16/2010, 07:21 AM
I have the CPR and I run a carbon back on the outlet section.

I have never seen an issue with this blocking the outlet pipe. I make sure most the bulk of carbon is under the outlet. Seems to be working well for me. The water is crystal clear. I can get you a pic if want to see it is located
If you get a chance I would really appreciate it. I think I know where you're talking about though. On the ledge where the outlet is and put the bag below the actual outlet, right? If thats right no need to send a pic. Thanks I'll get on that today! What about UV anybody use sterilizers?

WienerDog
12/16/2010, 07:23 AM
also, I have a small AquaCLear 30. Could I add carbon to that and just let it run? I'd just put a bag of carbon in and that would be it.

Toddrtrex
12/16/2010, 10:19 AM
.... What about UV anybody use sterilizers?

I used one for about a year back in 1998, unplugged it when I moved and haven't used one since -- tanks have been running just fine.

also, I have a small AquaCLear 30. Could I add carbon to that and just let it run? I'd just put a bag of carbon in and that would be it.

That would work really well too.

rivoth
12/16/2010, 11:02 AM
Some informative articles on Granulated Activated Carbon use in aquariums:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1

For myself I just place it somewhere out of sight, where water continuously passes by the sock, but is not blocked by it. I don't want it to become a particulate filter, I only want it to limit the buildup of potentially toxic dissolved organic compounds. For that purpose, water does not need to be forced through it. I care little about maximizing the rate of absorption, only that the process is fast enough for monthly change outs to be useful.

WienerDog
12/16/2010, 12:32 PM
Some informative articles on Granulated Activated Carbon use in aquariums:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1

For myself I just place it somewhere out of sight, where water continuously passes by the sock, but is not blocked by it. I don't want it to become a particulate filter, I only want it to limit the buildup of potentially toxic dissolved organic compounds. For that purpose, water does not need to be forced through it. I care little about maximizing the rate of absorption, only that the process is fast enough for monthly change outs to be useful.

Very cool, really informative. Dont know why anyone would not atleast provide a carbon of somesort to any part of their filtration. Especially after reading that.

WienerDog
12/31/2010, 09:51 PM
Should I add some Chemi-pure to the fuge discharge or entertain a carbon reactor? (2 little fishes)

89Foxbody
12/31/2010, 10:24 PM
For reactors I'd check out the BRS dual GAC/GFO reactor...It's cheaper than buying 2 Phosban 150s, and you can run it with a single MaxiJet 1200. They get nothing but great reviews and the media is very cheap on BRS as well.

jasonw52
01/01/2011, 01:55 PM
I used the output section of my CPR large hob fugue for a carbon bag. Also used for phosphate beads from time to time. Works great. I did the same on my cpr hob skimmer. Only issue was when the bag would float up and start to clog the return.

WienerDog
01/01/2011, 05:56 PM
I used the output section of my CPR large hob fugue for a carbon bag. Also used for phosphate beads from time to time. Works great. I did the same on my cpr hob skimmer. Only issue was when the bag would float up and start to clog the return.

I had that problem when I first added my Chemi-pure bag tonight...backed up all over the living room. So, I kinda hung the bag from the fuge light bracket. Works well and you cant see it.