PDA

View Full Version : Sps are turning brown and white !!!

Finzz
12/15/2010, 11:27 PM
i just purchased two sps corals a few weeks ago .. one of them is half brown and half white still with a little color on the bottom part .. the other one is all brown ..

i just tested my water and these are the results .. (using salifert kits )

CAL. 490
ALK. 9 DKH
MAG. 800
PH. 8.4
Phosphate - 0
Nitrates - 0

im using 250 w bulbs with a giesemann infininti light fixture .. its stock bulbs (12K) with 4 80w actinics . running a carbon and phosphate reactor .. 2 vortech mp40 powerheads .. its a 125 gal tank

any help will be appreciated..

thanks

Finzz
12/15/2010, 11:37 PM

5ft24
12/16/2010, 12:05 AM
i just purchased two sps corals a few weeks ago .. one of them is half brown and half white still with a little color on the bottom part .. the other one is all brown ..

i just tested my water and these are the results .. (using salifert kits )

CAL. 490
ALK. 9 DKH
MAG. 800
PH. 8.4
Phosphate - 0
Nitrates - 0

im using 250 w bulbs with a giesemann infininti light fixture .. its stock bulbs (12K) with 4 80w actinics . running a carbon and phosphate reactor .. 2 vortech mp40 powerheads .. its a 125 gal tank

any help will be appreciated..

thanks

if your Magnesium is only 800, that is more likely the issue... I would say 1200 as a MINIMUM... you also have to increase the level slowly, or the rapid change can cause issues as well...

Finzz
12/16/2010, 12:10 AM
if your Magnesium is only 800, that is more likely the issue... I would say 1200 as a MINIMUM... you also have to increase the level slowly, or the rapid change can cause issues as well...

thank you .. i am dosing it right now .

DwayneJohnsen
12/16/2010, 12:30 AM
you might want to check against another test kit for your results. Sounds pretty fishy

MrKite24
12/16/2010, 10:22 AM
Along with the MG, did you start with the coral at the bottom of the tank so it can adjust to the light? It could be in shock from the light as well as the low MG levels.

Finzz
12/16/2010, 02:22 PM
no .. i started it mid range now its about 5-6 inches from the top ..

fishieness
12/16/2010, 03:22 PM
White how? Bleached white or white as in necrosis? Where is it? How colorful were they in the store?
Any other sps? How are they doing?

Finzz
12/16/2010, 10:45 PM
White how? Bleached white or white as in necrosis? Where is it? How colorful were they in the store?
Any other sps? How are they doing?

i only have these two to start off with .. they looked gorgeous in color .. now white and brown .. its in the mid high range ... about 6 inches from the top .

BeanMachine
12/17/2010, 11:59 AM
i only have these two to start off with .. they looked gorgeous in color .. now white and brown .. its in the mid high range ... about 6 inches from the top .

You should start all your corals out on the bottom to acclimate them to your lights.

*Edit- And maybe the chemists can speak up but it is my understanding that Mag is normally approx. 3 times the Cal, so in your case you may have a bad kit or aren't using it properly. Just a thought. And I just noticed you are dosing Mag to get that number up... I would confirm your kit first.

Finzz
12/17/2010, 03:20 PM
You should start all your corals out on the bottom to acclimate them to your lights.

*Edit- And maybe the chemists can speak up but it is my understanding that Mag is normally approx. 3 times the Cal, so in your case you may have a bad kit or aren't using it properly. Just a thought. And I just noticed you are dosing Mag to get that number up... I would confirm your kit first.

ok. going to re test it in a little while . thanks again ..