PDA

View Full Version : lighting and flow question.

EMUReef
12/15/2010, 11:54 PM
Alright to start off i think i caught the sps bug but i dont have a lot of room because i have a mixed reef.
my issues.....

Some of my sps have great polyp extension some dont, and i dont wanna loose anymore pieces. I've lost a big birdnest colony to RTN, i fragged off what i could but they're barely hanging in there. And i lost a free frag that i got a couple weeks ago to RTN too.

None of my pieces are browning out or anything. I just wanna ensure that my lighting and flow might be the cause or might not.

I have 90g tank. 2 koralia evo 1400's, one at each end of the tank on a RKL wavemaker, along with about 800gph return. got the power heads pretty much pointed at the sps the best i can.
Lighting is 2 175w MH's in Hamilton Cozumel reflectors. SPS is mainly Mid tank.

here is a pick SPS is mostly on the left side. I think my lighting is ok, cause the SPS are still maintaining all of their color.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/RussWLW2004/100910_39.jpg

EMUReef
12/16/2010, 12:03 AM
one more thing..growth... im getting ok growth in some things, no growth in others.

My orange cap grows pretty quick, my green and orange digi's seem to grow pretty well, along with 2 stags i have.

i have a sunset mille that doesn't seem to be growing well.

inlandreef
12/16/2010, 05:15 AM
How tall is your tank?

BuckeyeTodd
12/16/2010, 08:29 AM
unless the sps were getting direct flow, more likely culprit IMO is water quality...two 175's are fine, wouldn't lead to stn...and lack of flow would color down items first

fishsuse29
12/16/2010, 09:08 AM
+1 on water quality I have similar flow and lighting to you and would occasionally lose SPS to RTN while some would grow great.
Once I got a 2 part doser and kept the temp stable i have been much more succesful

EMUReef
12/16/2010, 12:05 PM
tank is 24" tall.

hm guess ill have to test my water and see where im at, never had an issue with it yet.
i've been thinking about running the vertex bio-pellets to help.

EMUReef
12/20/2010, 01:03 AM
welp, did some more research made a few purchase's....

I almost feel embarassed to say my dKH was at 5.... wow.....now that i have a decent test kit.

Got a two part doser. Picked up some Carbon and GFO to run in my reactors... hopefully things will be on the up and up soon.

slowly getting the KH back up, will test in the morning again...