PDA

View Full Version : snowflake/clove eater?

velfamily
12/16/2010, 01:43 AM
3 weeks ago I purchased 2 different types of snowflake/clove polyps. One a lovely bright lavendar, the other has a green center with orange/brown 'petals'.

The purple is in a coral only tank & doing beautifully.
The orange has been doing great this morning, as I walked by the tank just now, I noticed the frag disc is just almost bare! :sad2:

I have moved it to the coral tank in hopes of it coming back, but am wondering what happened to it in the first place.

There is a yellow tang and a foxface in the larger tank. Could one of them have decided to munch on it? And after all this time of it being there untouched?

Thanks for your input

mallorieGgator
12/16/2010, 11:00 AM
Do you have any bad crabs in your tank? If so, then they could have eaten them. I have some in my tank localized at the right side of the tank and if I put any soft corals there, they eat the polyps.

Sk8r
12/16/2010, 11:03 AM
either one, but my bet is on the rabbit IF the green center attracted him. While animals don't see color quite as we do, the curious opalescent lens of the rabbit's eye may (this is only my private guess) serve as a filter to enhance edible greens...because they sure go for green, like a magnet. They rapidly learn the green torch coral is not pleasant, but if they got anything edible from those, they ARE eager eaters.

cloak
12/16/2010, 12:03 PM
How many polyps were on the frag disk? Sometimes those things will just detach when things aren't right. (flow) I've lost some "tri-color" clove polyps this way. There were only about 3 polyps on the disk though.

Sugar Magnolia
12/16/2010, 12:10 PM
It's possible you have a hitchhiker in there. I had a xanthid crab that ate all of my zoas and palys. :mad:

Jstadler
12/16/2010, 12:35 PM
I caught a Nudibranch muching my green center cloves.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1941635&highlight=help+id+this+nudi