PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a lot of egg crate accurately?

12/16/2010, 08:27 AM
I have a fair amount of egg crate to cut that needs to be cut accurately (redoing tops on tanks) and I'm looking for a solution. I'd love to zip it through a table saw and be done,if that's even possible (not with the woodworking blades I have). Also, since it's got to sit on the rims of the tanks, I can't be off very much to have it work right.

Thanks for suggestions.

Jeff

mavgi
12/16/2010, 08:38 AM
Why not to use scrren netting , it's more easy and lot better .

Look on the video and get the idea how to do this :

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/clear-1-4-screen-netting-7-x-3.html#

12/16/2010, 09:09 AM
Why not to use scrren netting...

I'm replacing screen netting. :)

For me, the netting has taken a beating and not held up. These are breeding tanks and get a lot more use than a normal display tank would. I need something beefier.

Jeff

username in use
12/16/2010, 09:34 AM
Id use my band saw before I used a table saw. But I have one so it makes it easy.

Inexplicable
12/16/2010, 09:41 AM
I've used a tablesaw with a ceramic blade - like one for cutting tile. You have to move quickly or it will melt. A tile saw works as well. The problem with a bandsaw is space. It is difficult to make big cuts unless you have a large (and expensive) bandsaw. I've found that if I have a new blade on my fret saw, it only takes one stroke per bar in the eggcrate, and I can do it quickly without any power tools.

38bill
12/16/2010, 10:09 AM
I use a band saw and a wire cutter. The wire cutter is great for removing odd sized shapes and making cutouts in the middle of a piece. Of course the cutter has to be small enough to fit inside the spaces in the EC.

username in use
12/16/2010, 12:59 PM
Inexplicable, you got a pm!

RJS8540
12/16/2010, 01:16 PM
I have a fair amount of egg crate to cut that needs to be cut accurately (redoing tops on tanks) and I'm looking for a solution. I'd love to zip it through a table saw and be done,if that's even possible (not with the woodworking blades I have). Also, since it's got to sit on the rims of the tanks, I can't be off very much to have it work right.

Thanks for suggestions.

Jeff

I've used a table saw to cut it, it worked fine for me.

spamreefnew
12/16/2010, 01:47 PM
band saw works great and wire cutters are not to bad

Qwiv
12/16/2010, 04:26 PM
Try using a table saw, but put a piece of plywood on top to hold the egg crate on the blade and stop it bouncing all over.

scbrooks87
12/16/2010, 04:47 PM
I can't really say what you SHOULD use, but I can say don't use a reciprocating (sp?) saw! Mine had the egg crate bouncing all over, way too many vibrations lol...

I use a pair of wire cutters, works well, but not quick by any means...

-Scott

Jon Lazar
12/16/2010, 05:25 PM
I've cut it many times on my tablesaw with no problems.

kingfisher62
12/16/2010, 05:30 PM
I wonder how a dremel would work with the right cutting bit!

Qwiv
12/16/2010, 05:56 PM
I've cut it many times on my tablesaw with no problems.

Use a fine tooth compound blade

nanonubey
12/16/2010, 09:54 PM
I use side cutters and then grind it down with a right angle grinder. It makes it very smooth.

jrapp13
12/16/2010, 10:05 PM
I would think you would be able to cut it with a circular saw pretty quickly, but I've always just used side cutters.

kookie_guy
12/16/2010, 10:44 PM
mini precision wire cutters. $7 from mcmaster-carr. Cut nice and flush too

item # 3621A11

12/17/2010, 07:21 AM
Try using a table saw, but put a piece of plywood on top to hold the egg crate on the blade and stop it bouncing all over.

Now that's an idea, thanks.

Jeff

12/17/2010, 07:24 AM
Use a fine tooth compound blade

I'm going to try that, thanks. I've seen some nice acrylic blades but they're too pricey for me to try.

Jeff

KafudaFish
12/17/2010, 04:48 PM
I know you said a bunch. I have used tile, table and band saw and all have worked fine, snipes worked fine but left a tip. Then you have to sand. If you have an electric sander like for wood working it is easy to get it all the same.

The last time I did it I used a saw zaw believe it or not. If you look at the EC and where you will cut there is the row that you want left and the row next to it if that makes sense. You can take the saw zaw and cut to the outside of the outer row.

It will leave [
[
[

You want the horizontal piece to be the length of the square. All you have to do is bend it off with your thumb. Yep that is right if you leave the horizontal piece long you can easily pop it off with a thumb.

It is much easier than having to sand it etc.

When finished it will look like

l
l
l
l

Yes those are fancy diagrams huh?

username in use
12/17/2010, 05:25 PM
nicely done mike

DeePDiSHeD
12/17/2010, 10:16 PM
Use a plywood blade installed backwards in a table saw. Thats what i do when i cut vinyl siding.

38bill
12/18/2010, 02:33 PM
And use a metal file to finish the edges instead of sanding.

KafudaFish
12/18/2010, 02:58 PM
nicely done mike

Yes I was going to post pictures but you know how some people get when you promise and cannot deliver on time.

BeanAnimal
12/18/2010, 03:01 PM
Bah... I pick a row, use a screw driver to smash through the entire row. The little leftover nubs are easily removed by pulling the piece over the edge the workbench, vice, or other solid corner. Less time with tools and more time for beer (didn't Ben Franklin say that, or somthing like that?)

stormrider27
12/18/2010, 03:18 PM
Bah... I pick a row, use a screw driver to smash through the entire row. The little leftover nubs are easily removed by pulling the piece over the edge the workbench, vice, or other solid corner. Less time with tools and more time for beer (didn't Ben Franklin say that, or somthing like that?)

Yes he did in Vol. 3 of Drunk Richard's Almanac :smokin: :beer:

tattooreef
12/18/2010, 06:55 PM
i have always used the same method as beananimal, very precise and extramely fast, you would be done in the time it takes to get any saw out and ready .