PDA

View Full Version : Copper Banded Butterflyfish may be sick

deez2448
12/16/2010, 10:30 AM
I bought a CBB last Thursday. When I placed him in my display my little tang didn't like him so I removed the tang quickly. In the process, of course, the poor CBB was stressed. He has been eatting like a champ and seems to be liking his new home. However, I have been watching him closely and he seems to be developing some white foggyness to his fins. Because of the color of the fish it is hard to see signs of disease. Therefore I have been watching his clear fins and looking at him head on to see any growths on his side. Like I stated I am starting to see slight growth on his fins.

My questions are:

Does it sound like a disease and if so what one. I know there is not much info for a description

Since he is acting fine should I leave him in the DT until it worsens or treat him now in QT

Is there a chance he will recover without medication?

How to treat him? Copper?

TY

D

JHemdal
12/16/2010, 06:35 PM
Cloudiness is one of those symptoms that show up in a number of different diseases. Could the tang have tagged it and caused fin damage?

Is the fish still eating like it was when you first got it? You might try tracking its respiration rates - that is another way to tell if a fish is getting sicker. Count how many breaths the fish takes in 15 seconds and multiple by 4 to get gill beats per minute. Just ball-parking it, but the fish should probably be breathing less than 80 bpm. It is more important to watch for changes in the rate, than the actual number.

And of course, I have to add that quarantining your fish is always better than just putting them into the display tank.

Jay

deez2448
12/19/2010, 08:55 AM
OK looks like the disease is progressing. I have a hospital tank ready. Looks like Ick (new) and maybe a bacterial infection (original symptom).

What should I treat him with. I am reading to not use copper on the Butterflyfish. Is this correct?

D