PDA

View Full Version : Best controller for SPS tanks?

purplereef
12/16/2010, 05:09 PM
Hi Guys, I am just wondering which controller to get for my SPS tank? I need to replace my PH controller that went bad and I am confused as to which controller the hard core SPS people are using. I did a little searching myself and I narrowed it down to two controllers, the ReefKeeper Elite/Lite or the Neptune Apex/Lite. I consider myself to be Old-school so automation is not always the greatest thing to me, but I think it is time to try out what is out there today. Mods please don't move this over to the equipment forum because I want the SPS people's opinion, thanks.

sedorusc
12/16/2010, 05:26 PM
I use the reefkeeper lite and use it to automate my lighting, cal dosing, alk dosing and heater. there are other features to it but I'm not the most computer literate. I wish I could speak about the others but I have no experience with them.

mthomp
12/16/2010, 05:32 PM
Great question, I am on the fence with this atm with my new tank which is going to be sps dominant. Im torn to just using timers for my lights and kalk stirer with my ato rather then dose.

BuckeyeTodd
12/16/2010, 05:33 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority(but like you, I'm old school) but I haven't decided to trust everything in my tank to a computer...just the thought of what would happen if I'm out of town and the electric went out and the controller didn't reboot properly scares me pretty good. I'm looking to get a ranco to give added security on my heaters though.

Nanook
12/16/2010, 05:37 PM
I wonder which controller the softy keepers use, or the seahorse keepers?? A controller does just that, it controls things and it doesn't matter which type of coral you keep.

LifeAquatic
12/16/2010, 05:40 PM
I use the ReefKeeper Elite on my SPS tank. It handles everything I need just fine. Lights, Dosing pumps, heaters, skimmer on timer, refugium lights, aux fan for chiller, temp,ph. I use vortechs and there isnt much of a reason to hook them to a controller. Apex controller is good to but the programming is more complicated. Dont be afraid to automate your daily reef task!

gasman059
12/16/2010, 06:42 PM
I wonder which controller the softy keepers use, or the seahorse keepers?? A controller does just that, it controls things and it doesn't matter which type of coral you keep.

LOL -brutally honest-true:lolspin: wonder why is in this forum lol

Bigmike
12/16/2010, 06:53 PM

I could be wrong but isn't there normally more things to 'control' in a more specific and complicated way specific to a SPS environment? Thats my take on it at least. I'd never care about a controller on a FO tank or a softy tank but with all the dosing methods, different lighting schemes/schedules, temp control, etc etc, thats a lot more complicated/specific in an SPS tank than it needs to be in another type of tank.

All that said, I dont use a controler :p

vivek
12/16/2010, 07:00 PM
I could be wrong but isn't there normally more things to 'control' in a more specific and complicated way specific to a SPS environment? Thats my take on it at least. I'd never care about a controller on a FO tank or a softy tank but with all the dosing methods, different lighting schemes/schedules, temp control, etc etc, thats a lot more complicated/specific in an SPS tank than it needs to be in another type of tank.

All that said, I dont use a controler :p

+1

I use the neptune apex

vivek
12/16/2010, 07:02 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority(but like you, I'm old school) but I haven't decided to trust everything in my tank to a computer...just the thought of what would happen if I'm out of town and the electric went out and the controller didn't reboot properly scares me pretty good. I'm looking to get a ranco to give added security on my heaters though.

That is exactly when my apex comes in handy. I can remotely check my parameters and control my outlets using my iPhone. The peace of mind is priceless!!!

chefzif
12/16/2010, 08:14 PM
I say go with the Apex also!

MechEng99
12/16/2010, 09:34 PM
Looooooove my Apex!! I was in the same boat - Apex or Elite. After a ton of research (but do your own research like you are now), I went with the Apex. We travel a lot and need to be able to access our aquarium through our phones/computer. It's nice that if we were in another country, got an alarm from the aquarium that the temp spiked...well...we could turn various outlets on & off remotely from the phone. Our modem is on another floor from our aquarium, so the Apex is nice in that we're fully wireless.

gasman059
12/17/2010, 04:51 AM
BTW the same params need to be measured in any tank-- but you guys are correct in terms of vigilance in a sps system.

Myself I run aquatronica/profilux

CleveYank
12/17/2010, 08:39 AM

LOL -brutally honest-true:lolspin: wonder why is in this forum lol

While I agree that everything needs a category and that everything needs to be in that category.

I also feel that judging this thread is in the wrong square hole because it's only supposed to be in with the round ones is kind of obtuse.

Before anyone get's their biscuits all toasty let me roll with this for a moment. And I am not just stirring the myre.

What I mean specifically is that the SPS keepers for the most part are experienced reefers. Alot of them have tried them all and done it all to get where they are. And in some questions that I ponder now and again they are THE ONLY FOLKS who's opinions I seek since they look at their livestock and it's specific needs the same way that I do.

I suspect that his why purplereef valued the opinion of this esteemed crowd.

Other than that, I do not use multi task controllers so I cannot comment directly on the topic.

But I will follow along to see what the crowd likes and why in controller selection.

sslak
12/17/2010, 09:02 AM
The question is, which controller can you afford?

Apex is the best. Internet ready with iPhone/Droid apps for remote control/monitoring 24/7. I would buy one in an instant if I could afford it.

That said I'm still running an old school ReefKeeper 2. It works great for everything I need.

purplereef
12/17/2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you guys. CleveYank is correct in that I am looking for the SPSers crowd for there opinion. editedIt looks like the APEX is really well liked. I just thought that maybe there was a controller out there that was a little more liked then the other. I am looking for things like don't buy XYZ controller because this went wrong with it etc.

mrfish55
12/17/2010, 09:33 AM
Tagging along, considering a controller myself, think I am going to hold off a little while longer and see what the response is from the soon to be released Vertex Cerebra.

therman
12/17/2010, 11:12 AM
I just sprung for an Apex...should be waiting for me when I get home. Pretty excited to monitor everything on my iPod, especially when out of the country.

coralreefhq
12/17/2010, 01:21 PM
Just so that you know, the more complicated the device is to configure, the more configurations there are to offer.

I like my Apex just fine.

r0ck0
12/17/2010, 01:27 PM
Between the RKE and Apex the Apex is by far the better of the two. I had the RKE but had many problems with the controller, temp failures and other random things not working. Not a single issue with the Apex in 6 months.

Also this is a great site:
http://www.reeftronics.net/greg-w/apex-status

MammothReefer
12/17/2010, 01:54 PM
I just run an ACJR.

I don't need all the bells and whistles. I don't see the point. Apex can't tell me any more information then an ACJr. Temp, Ph, and Orp that's it.

I use my controller to control my Lights, my heaters, my fan, my dosing pumps, and a feed mode for my pumps.

My pumps are controlled by there own controllers (vortech)

My ATO is a stand alone unit.

Just like the bigger $ controllers I'm limited by my DC8/HD4s

I don't see the advantage of any of the higher dollar systems in any circumstance let alone SPS tanks. I can setup logs, I can setup internet control w/acjr. (http://sites.google.com/site/acserial2web/)

Now if there was a controller that logged ALK, CALC, MAG, Salinity, Phos, Nitrate, ect.. That would be worth it.

coralreefhq
12/17/2010, 01:54 PM
I like my Apex just fine :)

Plus they're in San Jose, about 1 hour away from me.
I'll come knock on their door if anything!

r0ck0
12/17/2010, 02:42 PM
I like my Apex just fine :)

Plus they're in San Jose, about 1 hour away from me.
I'll come knock on their door if anything!

Heh, I did that. I ordered the AC adapter but got the wrong one, I called up neptune and asked if I could drop by and exchange it, no problem. Great customer service.

Allmost
12/17/2010, 02:55 PM
use a RKL and 3 TOM aqualifter pumps for balling method (KH, CA++ and MG++)
less than 200 bucks.

lights are on timers.

Tunze for ATO.

I may get a BM dosing pump to replace the RKL, so I Can put my light on the RKL.

funny718
12/17/2010, 04:05 PM
1+ for apex justt got one about two weeks ago and love how i can keep an eye on things from my phone and yes sps tank

REEF SMAC
12/17/2010, 05:31 PM
I can't really speak for the other controllers out there but I had the neptune AC3 for over 4 years and it worked flawlessly. Great product IME. I recently upgraded to the APEX so I could have the 0-10v to dim Plasma lights. Their customer service for me has been excellent.